• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you go about changing accountants?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you go about changing accountants?

My accountant has just completed my year-end and now I think it's time for the parting of the ways (no problems really but they've got bigger and there is much less communication than when I started with them 10 years ago).

So do I just call them up and say thanks but I'm off and then let the new accountants take over, or what?

(I haven't actually engaged the new one yet as I don't really know how to start the process.)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Yes, I'd let them know out of courtesy, your new accountant if qualified should write to your old accountant to obtain professional clearance and all relevant information so what you provide should be fairly limited.

The old accountant typically will hand over all files without a fuss assuming they have been paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew@NymanLinden View Post
      Yes, I'd let them know out of courtesy, your new accountant if qualified should write to your old accountant to obtain professional clearance and all relevant information so what you provide should be fairly limited.

The old accountant typically will hand over all files without a fuss assuming they have been paid.
      This.

No legal requirement for you to tell the old accountant...but if you've been with them 10 years it might seem a bit rude if the first they hear of you leaving is contact from your new accountant.

I'd recommend discussing with a handful of new accountants and making a decision before letting your old accountant know...just in case you decide all the options are rubbish and you want to stick where you are!

Also, if you generally like your current accountants, perhaps worth flagging your concerns/disappointment in the changes to them first in case they might be able to improve, rather than just jumping ship?

Comment

As per the s58 thread - I believe Montpelier have a lovely scheme for you.....

Comment

I changed a few years back.

Firstly, I worked out who I was likely to go with and had a conversation with them to ask what they would need. They prepared the end of year accounts for me based on my information anyway, for no additional cost.

Then I sent an email to the other accountants, and said that they were far too expensive and it was time to move on. They came back with an email saying they had reviewed the costs and they would cut a bit but that was it - it was still going to be double the InTouch rate.

I said I was still moving, arranged to go to their offices and collect everything from them, and emailed over to InTouch the details that they needed (payroll reference etc.).

Make sure you get everything that you need - my old accountant must have some paperwork still for me, but I've never asked for it back so it's probably gone by now. Nothing too important, but things like I don't have a copy of my SATR from the early years when they did it for me, which I'd like to have kept just in case.

It was fairly pain free - the pain was pretty much down to my poor record keeping, which we resolved pretty quickly. Good luck (and if you move to InTouch, tell them I sent you their way )
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            My accountant has just completed my year-end and now I think it's time for the parting of the ways (no problems really but they've got bigger and there is much less communication than when I started with them 10 years ago).

So do I just call them up and say thanks but I'm off and then let the new accountants take over, or what?

(I haven't actually engaged the new one yet as I don't really know how to start the process.)
            When you've a good relationship with your accountant, its almost like a marriage breakdown when you want \ need to find another.

How convoluted it is depends whether you're closing your company or not and how much work they do for you ie payroll, personal tax returns etc in addition to company matters since some accountants have separated this stuff off to their own internal companies.

Just tell them that from a future date, you'll be terminating their services and would like them to stop all actions from that date, have all company accounts \ services up to date at that point and bill you as appropriate.

Then instruct new accountant to start from that point.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Hi Cojak

As others have said, you don't specifically need to inform them that you are moving, however, they may need your authority to pass over any details to the new accountant (who should write to old accountant requesting any documents they need).

However, out of courtesy I'd definitely have a chat with them before engaging the new accountant as I would imagine you've built up quite a good relationship with them if you've been using their services for 10 years.

Make sure you ring up a few accountants and have a chat with them to ensure you feel you can build up a good relationship with them, you need to be able to trust the advice your accountant gives and know that you can question it (if needed) and they won't throw their dummy out so to speak! I know a good one if you're looking too

The actual transfer process should be pretty straight forward, just ensure you agree with old accountant what work they are completing before you go and agree with new accountant when they will be taking over.

HTH

Martin
              Contratax Ltd

Comment

I engaged my new accountant first and then wrote to my old accountant telling them I was moving and giving authority to the new accountant to write to them requesting all my stuff that they held.

It was all pretty painless.

Comment

For me it was pretty simple. I waited for the judge to lock mine up and then found someone who was based in my home city at an address I knew.

Comment

What does your accountant say?
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X