• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Autumn Statement - Umbrella Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autumn Statement - Umbrella Companies

From the Autumn Statement, regarding Umbrella Companies. There may be some interested parties on CUK:

1.251 As part of its reform of the rules for employee benefits and expenses in response to recommendations by the Office of Tax Simplification, the government will stop tax relief from being claimed on reimbursed business expenses when they are paid in conjunction with a salary sacrifice scheme. The government is also concerned at the growing use of overarching contracts of employment by employment intermediaries such as ‘umbrella companies’, which allow some temporary workers to benefit from tax relief for home-to-work travel expenses that is not generally available to other workers.
    2.147 Overarching contracts of employment and temporary workers – The government will review the increasing use of overarching contracts of employment by employment intermediaries such as ‘umbrella companies’. These arrangements enable workers to obtain tax relief for home to work travel that would not ordinarily be available. The government will publish a discussion paper shortly to inform possible action at Budget 2015.

It looks like HMRC may finally be looking at tackling the abuse from many umbrella companies.

Most users of umbrella's have no idea how the scheme works and what tax abuses are being made in their name.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Government has been looking into the various abuses within the industry for quite some time (we have been involved with a number of consultations) so this wasn't unexpected. I have already spoken to one of my contacts at HMRC and we will also be sitting in on the new consultation which will begin in the next few weeks - I hope that this will finally give us the level playing field that we have been campaigning for
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        we will also be sitting in on the new consultation which will begin in the next few weeks
        What do you mean you will be sitting in? You and indeed anyone else can contribute to the consultation but lets not pretend that you have a privileged status.
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
          What do you mean you will be sitting in? You and indeed anyone else can contribute to the consultation but lets not pretend that you have a privileged status.
          Attending? Present? Going along? Giving our opinion? Take your pick
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

There's a table, and only some people get invited to sit at the table. Sometimes, there's a party and only some people will get invited to go to the party. If you are going to disagree with anything that HMRC are going to say, then you won't be invited to sit at the table or go to the party. So you should always agree with HMRC, even if you don't know what you want to happen, just to get an invite to the party and a seat at the table.

That's what I've learned from the IPSE forums over the past few weeks.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Everyone is equal, some are just more equal than others...

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                There's a table, and only some people get invited to sit at the table. Sometimes, there's a party and only some people will get invited to go to the party. If you are going to disagree with anything that HMRC are going to say, then you won't be invited to sit at the table or go to the party. So you should always agree with HMRC, even if you don't know what you want to happen, just to get an invite to the party and a seat at the table.

That's what I've learned from the IPSE forums over the past few weeks.
                You cannot just get 'in'.

You also have to bring 'gifts'

I know, I was told by someone who can never, ever be wrong. Repeatedly until his head hurt. I think he's having a lie down atm.

Comment

What do you mean you will be sitting in? You and indeed anyone else can contribute to the consultation but lets not pretend that you have a privileged status. .
                  Oye! Watch how you talk to Lisa. Geddit?
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Would such companies be invited to sit in on any relevant court cases as well?

Ah well - contractors shouldn't worry. If you wanted maximum value for your contracting day you should be going Limited anyway, surely?
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X