• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uncle Clive's Back

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncle Clive's Back

Dunno if this is a KUATB moment, but anyway:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/zx-spectru...2.html#nUtMILu

For dear old Freako: this story is about The Return of The Sinclair Spectrum home computer.

Though why anyone in their right mind would want one is beyond my comprehension.

Certainly not now there are cute Raspberry-Pi's around..
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm tempted.

I don't understand why anyone in their right mind would want a Raspberry Pi.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Certainly not now there are cute Raspberry-Pi's around..
        This.

You can get a Pi for less than the Sinclair thingy that does all that, plus a lot more.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          I'm tempted.

what?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm tempted.

Cheap media server. Or as a cheap security camera / motion sensor that stores the pictures securely for you. Or to learn to code as a child (or an adult). Or as a games machine. Or as a retro machine.

I'm sure there are other uses out there, but those are the ones that I've used a Pi for so far. My children like learning to code on it, and they can teach themselves which is a good way to start.

Plus if they break it somehow, it's either £30 for a new computer or reformat the SD card and start again.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'm tempted.

Um, because it's a computer the size of a cigarette packet, and only slightly more expensive than said packet of fags.

Comment

the original Spekky was 48k and required a separate tape cassette player to load the code , but the 128 was a massive leap forward because it had it's own inbuilt tape player.
                awesomeness abounded , what a massive leap in cutting edge technology.

Lords of midnight, Elite, Warlords

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
                  Um, because it's a computer the size of a cigarette packet, and only slightly more expensive than said packet of fags.
                  But why would you want that? If you lived in poverty, then maybe. But like most people here I'm sure, I have a couple of old laptops and desktops lying around as well as the ones I actually use, plus three old Android phones I could do things with if I was determined (which I'm not). And why on earth would a cheap cigarette packet sized computer be better for "learning to code" than a laptop?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

But why would you want that? If you lived in poverty, then maybe. But like most people here I'm sure, I have a couple of old laptops and desktops lying around as well as the ones I actually use, plus three old Android phones I could do things with if I was determined (which I'm not). And why on earth would a cheap cigarette packet sized computer be better for "learning to code" than a laptop?
                    Because children break things and even if you have an old laptop around it would be worth more than £30.

Plus some gadgets are just fun to have.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X