• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On the busses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the busses

In the olden days, when I was a lad, the busses were dead old fashioned.

They had open backs, with a pole to hold onto, a clippie as well as a driver, and little bells all over the place for signalling to the driver. There was an upstairs, where there was 'no standing' and downstairs there was 'no smoking'

My older brother got a job as a clippie and he looked the biz, in his clippie uniform and his silver ticket machine hanging on a leather strap around his neck.
    Of course he soon got bored, and the driver used to go around the corners as fast as he could, throwing all the old dears from one side to the other, with their little shopping parcels flying everywhere. what a scally.

Then when they complained to him he would say 'not my fault dear, it's that driver. At the next stop , I will hold the bus and you go around to complain to him'

So the old biddies would get off the bus, walk around the front and start to bang on the drivers side window.
    Then my brother would reach for the pole, 'ding ding'. and off the bus would go, leaving the old dears standing at the bus stop.

One day, me mum was taking me into town. We got on the 28 and there was me brother. Great, that means we didn't have to pay the tanner. I was still in a bad mood though, because me mum had just given me a thick ear, because I wanted to stay at home and play.

Anyways, the driver didn't know me mum was on the bus, so after a few minutes we were all getting thrown all over the place. It was great fun. for me anyway. So me mum lays into me brother and he told her the usual line.
    She got off at the next stop and stormed around to give the driver an ear bashing. I watched my brother , he didn't move, too scared to leave me ma standing there. So I reached for the bell nearest me. 'ding ding' and off we shot.

My brother looked around to see who had pressed the bell, he looked at me, but I kept me gob shut, got off at the next stop, and beat a hasty.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Yeah but what's a 'buss'?
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

It's a Buzz in Bolton..

Comment

School buses in south Leeds used to be run by Black Prince. They were utterly tulip. What I remember about them is they used to have an emergency engine isolator button on the back which would totally disable the vehicle. Great fun.

Here is the kind of thing i'm thinking of (picture taken at the bottom of Morley precinct, just in front of the town hall, if i'm not mistaken):

Comment

I notice that the new "Boris" buses have an open platform at the back.

Does that mean it's possible to hop on and off willy nilly or is there some kind of health and aaach binnus?

Comment

Working...
          X