• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I do love this contracting lark.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do love this contracting lark.

I have been doing it now for about a year and a half. I have cleared my considerable debts, and have amassed a large amount of savings that I would have never dreamed possible a couple of years ago slogging away in my Permie role.

4th contract in and I have improved my skill-set in each and every role. Into my 2nd week in my current gig and it’s 30 mins away on the bus, strict 8-4 culture (which I am happy to copy! Prof working day and all) and the client is happy thus far.

I went to a local comp in one of the poorest areas of the country (once described as “Little Beirut” by a National Red top) and I would wager my income last year would be higher the majority (if not all) of my class mates. I have found myself over the past few months giving thanks very often for how lucky I am.

I am earning, learning and loving my work. I don’t know how long this climate will continue but if I can squeeze 5 years out of this, I have a great chance of clearing my Mortgage.

Long may it continue!

It's a great career choice. Not for everyone but glad it's working for you

Comment

Keep working hard. Keep learning. Don't get addicted to the money. Don't become arrogant.

And in another 18 months you'll be in a very strong position.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
        It's a great career choice. Not for everyone but glad it's working for you
        It's like a warm blanket with a hot water bottle and fluffy pillow. Not everyone can do it and you need a set of skills and personality to match (Unless youre a low grade bod of the likes of SimonMac at which point the ability to hold a screwdriver is more important than personality).

There are next levels above contracting which brings even more rewards but very few reach those hallowed levels.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I vote this post of the Year. Lovely to see someone actually grateful for being in this position.
          The sensible ones of us don't take this lifestyle for granted. It can end in the blink of an eye; we have no job security, no paid holidays etc. But I'd be on a fraction of my current wages if I had gone for any number of permie roles. My mother stilll can't get her head around my wages, especially as she's on less than £20k a year in the NHS. I thank God for contracting every single day.

Comment

But can you bleed a radiator?

Comment

My mother lives for the day when I get 'a real job'.
              Afraid she doesn't get it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                There are next levels above contracting which brings even more rewards but very few reach those hallowed levels.
                Entrepreneurship? Being the director of a proper company (with staff, multiple clients etc)?
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
                  My mother lives for the day when I get 'a real job'.
                  Afraid she doesn't get it at all.
                  My mother in law and family all sympathise when I'm between contracts 'hopefully something will come along soon', 'its tough out there' etc

We're more than comfortable but not flashy in any way, and I don't want to correct then anyway as it would be too crude to discuss what I earn and of course it's really none of their business. So I just nod along 'yeah hopefully I'll get something soon'.

Comment

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
                    I went to a local comp in one of the poorest areas of the country (once described as “Little Beirut” by a National Red top) and I would wager my income last year would be higher the majority (if not all) of my class mates. I have found myself over the past few months giving thanks very often for how lucky I am.
                    So now we know where you are from!

How your classmates are doing shouldn't really interest you and you should really avoid them as some of them will probably be serving time or have done so already.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X