• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

He's back! - Ex-SNP leader Alex Salmond to stand for UK parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's back! - Ex-SNP leader Alex Salmond to stand for UK parliament

I knew his resignation was a smoke screen for something more. Can't win the indy vote then take them down from the inside. Oh whit a laugh it'll be to have him debating in parliament. x-factor step aside. This will be entertainment. Looks like he might get that debate with Cameron after all ;O)

BBC News - Ex-SNP leader Alex Salmond to stand for UK parliament

Salmond to stand for UK parliament

6 December 2014 Last updated at 21:21 GMT
    Alex Salmond
    Former SNP leader Alex Salmond is to stand for a seat at Westminster at next May's General Election, the BBC understands.

He will contest the Gordon seat held by retiring Lib Dem MP Sir Malcolm Bruce.

Mr Salmond stood down as SNP leader and Scotland's first minister after the "Yes" campaign was defeated in September's independence referendum.

He is expected to confirm his decision when he addresses a meeting in the constituency on Sunday morning.

There has been intense speculation that Mr Salmond would seek to return to Westminster ever since he announced he was stepping down as first minister.

He currently represents the constituency of Aberdeenshire East in the Scottish Parliament and had indicated he would continue in that role.

At the 2010 General Election Mr Bruce held the Gordon constituency in Aberdeenshire with a majority of 6,748 over the SNP.

BBC news correspondent Catriona Renton said there was an enormous amount of momentum behind the SNP since the independence referendum and Mr Salmond was likely to have a good chance in the Gordon seat.

It had not come as much of a surprise because he had hinted at it on the BBC's Question Time a couple of weeks ago, she added.

'No coalition'
    Mr Salmond was the MP for Banff and Buchan between 1987 and 2010. He stood down as an MP after being chosen as first minister, a role he served between 2007 and 2014.

He used his resignation speech as first minister in the Scottish Parliament to describe the job as the "privilege of my life".

He said: "Scotland has changed - changed utterly and much for the better over the 15 years of this parliament and over the seven years of this government.

"I'm happy to say with every degree of certainty that more change and better days lie ahead for this parliament and for Scotland."

The referendum on Scotland's future saw voters turn out to reject independence by 55% to 45%, on a turnout of almost 85%.

Speaking last week, Mr Salmond said it was unlikely that the SNP would be part of a formal coalition government with Labour at Westminster.

The new SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon has ruled out helping the Conservatives if David Cameron fails to win an overall majority of MPs in May.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 6 December 2014, 22:59.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

I can't say I'm surprised, he's a politician used to having a voice and a place at the tables where power is exerted, he was unlikely to give that up for long.

Comment

Work the issue from both ends.

Makes sense to me. Good luck to him!
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I am absolutely delighted as well.

Having Scottish MPs in Westminster was what I and the majority of the electorate voted for in the referendum.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I am absolutely delighted as well.

Having Scottish MPs in Westminster was what I and the majority of the electorate voted for in the referendum.
          It was a simple question, how did you read it so wrong?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            It was a simple question, how did you read it so wrong?
            What??

If you voted "No" you voted for the status quo which is Scottish MPs as MPs, government ministers and even prime minister in a United Kingdom.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Typical hypocritical move by someone more interested in power than delivery. He'll have zero impact from the back benches in the House, even if he gets called to speak, all he'll get is column inches. Which is the objective after all.

And I may be wrong, but wasn't the whole point of his campaign to get Scotland out of the UK Parliament. And just to prove his desire to fight a good fight, the seat he's after is held by a Lib Dem, and moreover one who's retiring...

And people wonder why we hate politicians.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Calling a politician a hypocrite seems more than a little redundant, anyone that doesn't realise that they're all self interested liars who want power at any cost really doesn't pay any attention.

An old Lib Dem seat is no shock, 5 years in coalition has blown their vote to bits for what's likely to be a decade or more.

Comment

Even if the SNP get 50 MPs in Scotland (which is what they are claiming they will get which I seriously doubt) they won't have an impact. They will just take them from labour, essentially weakening the power of the party that they are most willing to work with. Most SNP and YES voters are so logically diminished they are unable to understand that.
                  Last edited by minestrone; 7 December 2014, 16:48.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    Even if the SNP get 50 MPs in Scotland (which is what they are claiming they will get which I seriously doubt) they won't have an impact. They will just take them from labour, essentially weakening the power of the party that they are most willing to work with. Most SNP and YES voters are so logically diminished they are unable to understand that.

Comment

Working...
                    X