• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Autism friendly events - good idea or bad idea?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autism friendly events - good idea or bad idea?

BBC News - Autism-friendly event goes national

She says: "Children with autism often struggle with loud noises, strip lights and interacting with other children." It's much easier, she adds, when they are surrounded by young people who are having similar difficulties and who understand the situation.

Another sign the country is getting less tolerant. I would rather take my kids to a busy store and get them used to it - anyone who wants to stare can. Anyone who wants to have a go can.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    BBC News - Autism-friendly event goes national

She says: "Children with autism often struggle with loud noises, strip lights and interacting with other children." It's much easier, she adds, when they are surrounded by young people who are having similar difficulties and who understand the situation.

Another sign the country is getting less tolerant. I would rather take my kids to a busy store and get them used to it - anyone who wants to stare can. Anyone who wants to have a go can.
    I may well be wrong about this, but my understanding was that autistic kids don't get used to things like this, thats part of the problem. They don't know or understand how to handle it and can't learn the coping mechanisms that the rest of us have, hence the problems they can have in busy public areas. I know autism is on a scale, not a single set of problems, but surely this has to be good for those that find it harder than others to cope with the crowds and noise and lights. Doesn't it?

I don't see this as intolerance, surely intolerance would be telling parents with autistic kids to leave if they have an episode, or not allowing them into the store to begin with.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I don't think any of Brillos kids have autism. I think it was letting off fireworks in their bedroom and locking the door when they were two that did it.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Personally it just looks like toys r'us managed to find a way round the Sunday trading laws to open early on a Sunday..
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Personally it just looks like toys r'us managed to find a way round the Sunday trading laws to open early on a Sunday..
          Cynical!!!

Good advertising for feck all too.

Comment

Another sign the country is getting less tolerant. .
            The article says "... for fear of him having a public meltdown"

Is it her fear or what she thinks everyone else thinks?

Even "normal" kids have meltdowns in shops especially if it's busy. Also the fact he's 3 means the majority of people will think his behaviour is normal. If he was 7+ then people will wonder what is wrong....
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              I may well be wrong about this, but my understanding was that autistic kids don't get used to things like this, thats part of the problem. They don't know or understand how to handle it and can't learn the coping mechanisms that the rest of us have, hence the problems they can have in busy public areas. I know autism is on a scale, not a single set of problems, but surely this has to be good for those that find it harder than others to cope with the crowds and noise and lights. Doesn't it?

I don't see this as intolerance, surely intolerance would be telling parents with autistic kids to leave if they have an episode, or not allowing them into the store to begin with.
              It gets easier with time - and at the end of the day they have to get used to a "normal" world.

I am often concerned that people rather than shops are too judgemental in nature.

Comment

I thought this thread was about CUK drinks...

Comment

I would rather take my kids to a busy store and get them used to it - anyone who wants to stare can. Anyone who wants to have a go can.
                  Isn't that like asking a gay guy to screw women? Get them used to it? Cure them? Er, no... it doesn't work that way.

Are you sure you're cut out to be a father of autistic kids?

Perhaps your autism stands in the way of your understanding the condition

Comment

Working...
                  X