• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Late for work? Anything else going wrong in your life?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late for work? Anything else going wrong in your life?

Just blame immigration.

BBC News - Nigel Farage in UKIP event no-show due to 'immigration'

The daily mail stereotype has become real.

To some I suspect this may make him more electable.

Given that migrants make up nearly 13% (as at 2011) of the population in the South of England, between 10 and 15% of those in areas he would have travelled through, is it so wrong to suggest it is a factor at least?
    Last edited by xoggoth; 7 December 2014, 19:57.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Also he did say it was only one factor not the entire cause but everyone will ignore that as it suits them.

Also while a 10-15% increase in cars may not appear to be a significant factor in a near 100% increase in time, note that traffic delays are not simply proportional to numbers of cars on the road, the maths is more complex and speed drops off more sharply as traffic density increases. When a road is already crowded (and the UK has not seen any major road developments in decades) a 10%+ increase in cars could make a big difference to journey time. Adding these extra cars could indeed cause those traffic jams which have no obvious cause.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 7 December 2014, 20:17.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A funny story, but maybe the problem is the government of the day didn't increase our infrastructure in line with the immigration.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

but maybe the problem is the government of the day didn't increase our infrastructure in line with the immigration
          If only it was that easy. Not just huge costs but the impact on our environment - things that are never taken account of in the "benefits" of mass immigration. If studies actually included the full costs and effects of all the things mass immigration brings - more houses, more schools, more roads, more health care, translation, international crime and trafficking, illegal migration, cultural problems, social tensions, riots, terrorism etc. they would not be so positive.
          bloggoth

Comment

Part of my morning commute is along the M4, so I'll certainly be using this excuse to my client next time I'm late

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Given that migrants make up nearly 13% (as at 2011) of the population in the South of England, between 10 and 15% of those in areas he would have travelled through, is it so wrong to suggest it is a factor at least?
              Yes

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                A funny story, but maybe the problem is the government of the day didn't increase our infrastructure in line with the immigration.
                Why bother? Infrastructure takes years to see benefits after paying for it - why let your successor reap the rewards?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Also he did say it was only one factor not the entire cause but everyone will ignore that as it suits them.

Not Really

Speaking to the BBC's Sunday Politics Wales, Mr Farage said: "It took me six hours and 15 minutes to get here - it should have taken three-and-a-half to four.

"That is nothing to do with professionalism, what it does have to do with is a population that is going through the roof chiefly because of open-door immigration and the fact that the M4 is not as navigable as it used to be."
                  The fact that there were two multi vehicle accidents on the M4 in the Port Talbot area on Friday afternoon resulting in lane closures had nothing to do it with it then?
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    The fact that there were two multi vehicle accidents on the M4 in the Port Talbot area on Friday afternoon resulting in lane closures had nothing to do it with it then?
                    They were probably caused by immigrants used to driving on the wrong side of the road.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X