• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iceland - anyone been? Tips?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iceland - anyone been? Tips?

Planning a 2 week driving trip there next June. Any recommendations of good places to stay? Nice restaurants?
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Originally posted by chef View Post
    Planning a 2 week driving trip there next June. Any recommendations of good places to stay? Nice restaurants?
    My sister went and loved the place. She did say that if you're offered the car insurance with cover for ash damage to paintwork then take it, apparently it's possible for a car to look sandblasted (which you pay to fix).

No specific restaurants that she mentioned, sorry can't help on that front.

Comment

Watch out for Peter Andre.
      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

I haven't been there myself. But my mum's been.

Comment

Planning a 2 week driving trip there next June.
          You do know that it's an island don't you?
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            You do know that it's an island don't you?

You definitely need a car. Bloody expensive place. Expensive food. Drinks.

My tip is, if you want a bit of nightlife, the Icelandics all stay at home until around midnight, get tanked up and then head into town. Unless us, who went out at 7.30pm, every bar was dead, headed back at 11.30pm to then be woken by hoards of honking cars heading into town until 4am.

Oh and try to forget that the Blue Lagoon is actually the waste water off the massive electicity plant behind.

(Oh and for two weeks, make sure you've got a remortgage ready on your house. It's foooooooooooooooooking expensive.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Yes an island with an 800mile ring road and a whole heap of spectacular scenery. I wrote "driving" otherwise some people might state the obvious and say "with 2 weeks you should definitely get out of Reykjavik " which is the plan, just not sure exactly where.
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Yes an island with an 800mile ring road and a whole heap of spectacular scenery. I wrote "driving" otherwise some people might state the obvious and say "with 2 weeks you should definitely get out of Reykjavik " which is the plan, just not sure exactly where.
                If you are looking for trip ideas and scenery, you might want to ask here on POTN. Lots of people have made the trip, look in the landscapes section for ideas.

Comment

Been there twice, it's fantastic, but extremely expensive.
                  I went camping on both trips which will save you a lot of money.
                  If you take your own car it may be cheaper than renting (not sure if the Denmark-Faroes-Iceland ferry still stops at Shetland, but there are shipping firms like Eimskip who also take private cars.

Comment

If you go to the blue lagoon do not put your hair in the water. It will ruin it for weeks.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X