• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear : Aviva to offshore thousands of jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear : Aviva to offshore thousands of jobs

Aviva plans to cut 4,000 UK jobs

Aviva, owner of Norwich Union, has long-term off-shoring plans
    The UK's biggest insurer Aviva has announced plans to cut 4,000 British jobs by 2008 as it seeks to trim costs and streamline its operations.
    Aviva, which owns Norwich Union, said that up to 1,000 jobs would be shifted overseas to India. Another 500 IT posts would be outsourced, it added.

The insurer said the move was part of earlier-announced plans to move 7,800 jobs overseas by the end of next year.

Aviva said it would look to "minimise the number of compulsory redundancies".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5344450.stm

Looks like Wipro have managed to convince the thick-as-tulipe management that, having cost Aviva a fortune and wasted the existing staff's time by having them train indians for the last 2 years, they are the cheaper option.

Be careful who you buy insurance with, as a lot of products on the market are simply rebranded Aviva.

'Offshore me happy'
    Vieze Oude Man

Originally posted by mcquiggd
    Looks like Wipro have managed to convince the thick-as-tulipe management that, having cost Aviva a fortune and wasted the existing staff's time by having them train indians for the last 2 years, they are the cheaper option.
    Having worked at NU for several years (until earlier this year), I am flabbergasted at this decision. It had already been determined that, despite the much lower salary costs, it would take approximately 7 years to break even after initial costs. To speed this process up, they started double-shifting.

In their defence, the Indian staff were highly efficient and, I'm sad to say, much more efficient than their UK based peers, but they were in the main only performing true back-office functions.

I have had to resort to e-mail instead of phone in the past as it has been far too difficult trying to hold a conversation with them, so I can only empathise with customers who have to deal with off-shore call centres.

Flubby
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

They are increasing their premiums as well. I phoned:

"Oy, you're not quoting me happy!"

"Hello, my name is Sidney. Reedy doddod budda bum. Butt a dud budda bum. ..."

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
        They are increasing their premiums as well. I phoned:

"Oy, you're not quoting me happy!"

"Hello, my name is Sidney. Reedy doddod budda bum. Butt a dud budda bum. ..."
        Did you ask Sidney to poppodom his quote over there.

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
          Aviva plans to cut 4,000 UK jobs

'Offshore me happy'
          You are so so right
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

tulip I just joined the RAC.

Didn't know they were Aviva.

They were more expensive than the AA too!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
              tulip I just joined the RAC.
              You wait when they start to offshore the RAC Patrolmen...

Comment

Or the bus drivers.......ah no that's Arriva.
                It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Last time I tried heavily advertised Norwich Union motor insurance they quoted me significantly more than I found elsewhere - they may well be the "designer label" equivalent in insurance world, but I ain't paying so much more for priviledge of being with that company. Looks like others wised up too.

Comment

Funny, as in strange

What would make people less cynical about the off-shoring business is that they don't see any of the benefits that the potential savings from outsourcing should bring (assuming that there any). So if Aviva/NU would turn round and say 'We've made so many savings in our operation costs, so we are passing them on to our clients' - NOT !

Comment

Working...
                    X