• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a beautiful morning...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a beautiful morning...

I had a terrible sleep last night - I could have cried when the alarm went off this morning. I left the house at 5:40am, in howling wind, driving hail and a distinctly Baltic nip in the air, and walked to the bus stop. My bus/train/train/bus/walk commute was reasonably uneventful but I had to keep reminding myself that this is what I chose, I'm only 2 weeks into a 3 month contract and anyway tomorrow is payday.

I arrived at the clients office knowing that today's tasks on my to do list were among the more mundane and spirit-sapping that I get to do, but ho-hum, rough with the smooth etc...

Then the Project Director arrives - he's carrying a load of paperwork and he has a serious look on his face... "We need to have a bit of a catch up Ramrod, do you have a minute?", I do the nod and coffee slurp while I internally fortify myself......

"I haven't really had much chance to check in with you over the two weeks you've been here so far, my apologies for that, I should be giving you a bit more support..." he starts, I'm expecting his axe to be wielded any second...

He continues.... "I realise I got you in here on the basis of 3 months, but..."

Here we go, as I start to think how I'll spend my extended xmas break and I try to prevent my bottom lip quivering...

"We've landed another contract which I can't resource so we could keep you busy through to around August if that suits you?"

Just listen to those birds singing fellas... what a beautiful day it is. I have a spring in my step, a rainbow around my shoulder and many a happy tune to whistle my day away with.

Anybody want a coffee?? Breakfast??? Cream cake?? A beer... come on, just a small one... my treat....

Those moments are the best, aren't they?!

Have a

No, make that
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Very well described Ramrod! The post brings a smile to my otherwise-miserable face!

Comment

To which you reply, August huh. It's a bit tight. Tell you what, 3-days in the office 2-days in my own office charging less my commuting costs against hourly rate etc.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Lovely day!

Comment

Nice story, and well boomed.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

morning has broken
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                X