• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vote Labour!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vote Labour!

Nice to see Moribund is getting serious about the government deficit. Not.

BBC News - Ed Miliband: We'll tackle deficit with 'sensible' cuts

(Figures in brackets in following quote added by me)

He promised "sensible reductions in public spending" and outlined pledges Labour has made so far:
    Stopping the winter fuel allowance for "the wealthiest pensioners" (2.1bn)
    Capping child benefit rises at 1% ( (1.3*% inflation less 1% of 12.6bn = 0.04bn)
    Scrapping police commissioners (20 million)
    Selling off "unwanted government assets" (10bn)
    He also said Labour would make savings of £500m in local government.
    The sale of unwanted assets (£10bn) is a one off. As far as I can find out, the rest amounts to under 3bn a year, plus Compared to the annual deficit of about $109bn. Try harder Moribund.

Asked afterwards what more Labour would do to cut spending, he said that beyond the measures announced: "The right way to make these decisions is frankly in government".
    Aaaah!

PS If anyone has any better figures feel free to post them!
    Last edited by xoggoth; 11 December 2014, 20:06.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Sounds great! Lets vote for an east life. After all, the government can always print the money.

Comment

I'd like to climb inside Ed Miliband's head - Telegraph

Comment

Labour will no doubt resort to the magical Keynesian multiplier to make their policies work, particularly the bankers' magic multiplier. Frankly, if this is the best Milliband can come up with, I don't think the Tories (or UKIP) have much to fear from Labour on the front of the economy. Not that I think the Tories are much better, but Labour is giving them a run for being the party par excellence of out of touch toffs, whose sole repertoire of innovation in economic policy is to dig through a trash heap of ideas long since discarded by most economists. Though if Boris is in the run for PM, if I am in an area that is not utterly hopeless as far as the Tories are concerned, I might cast my vote in his direction. Especially if he has the good sense to do a confidence and supply arrangement with UKIP.

Oh and you forgot one. Rake in just under £1b* from FLCs when they supplant IR35. Then watch as the UK's flexible workforce shrinks in size.

*based on entirely made up numbers
        Last edited by Zero Liability; 11 December 2014, 22:01.

Comment

It all made perfect sense to me. That's where my X is going come May!

Comment

Hmmm... inneresting.

I was also reading how he's conceded ridding Scotland of innerconninennal ballistic missiles in order to get the SNP on side in event of Labour forming a minority government.

Sorry - I know nobody will see this but I've been dying to slip that in somewhere for ages. It'll rub TykeMerc up the wrong way anyhow.
            Last edited by Gittins Gal; 11 December 2014, 23:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
              innerconninennal

That is actually quite funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                Hmmm... inneresting.
                Hello stranger! Missed your inneresting analysis

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                  Labour will no doubt resort to the magical Keynesian multiplier to make their policies work, particularly the bankers' magic multiplier. Frankly, if this is the best Milliband can come up with, I don't think the Tories (or UKIP) have much to fear from Labour on the front of the economy. Not that I think the Tories are much better, but Labour is giving them a run for being the party par excellence of out of touch toffs, whose sole repertoire of innovation in economic policy is to dig through a trash heap of ideas long since discarded by most economists. Though if Boris is in the run for PM, if I am in an area that is not utterly hopeless as far as the Tories are concerned, I might cast my vote in his direction. Especially if he has the good sense to do a confidence and supply arrangement with UKIP.

Oh and you forgot one. Rake in just under £1b* from FLCs when they supplant IR35. Then watch as the UK's flexible workforce shrinks in size.

*based on entirely made up numbers
                  That could actually be £20bn from FLC. Assuming a £5000 increase in tax received and 4million freelancers.... Put that way you can see why Labour would like it....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Who said tax doesn't have to be taxing? They should try being on the receiving end for a change!
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                    X