• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Record cut in Scotland's carbon emissions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes me well up reading about this marvellous progress in the face of all the doubters.

BBC News - Record cut in Scotland's carbon emissions

12 December 2014 Last updated at 00:38 GMT
    stirling wind turbine The amount of carbon dioxide displaced by green energy in 2013 was up 14% on 2012
    Carbon emissions were cut by a record 12 million tonnes in Scotland last year thanks to the renewable electricity industry.

UK government figures showed 11.9 million tonnes of CO2 was displaced in 2013, up 14% on the previous year.

The Committee on Climate Change, which advises the UK government, said Scotland was making good progress.

Industry body Scottish Renewables described the figures as a "milestone achievement."

Joss Blamire, a senior policy manager at Scottish Renewables, added: "This means that not only are renewables now the number one source of electricity in Scotland, but we have achieved this milestone while preventing a record amount of harmful carbon emissions from being released into our atmosphere.

"Renewable energy in Scotland is doing exactly what it was designed to do - creating jobs, securing our energy supplies and, most importantly, reducing our carbon emissions to help limit climate change."

WWF Scotland director Lang Banks said the results were "fantastic news".

Speaking from the UN's climate change conference in Lima, Peru, Mr Banks added: "That renewables in Scotland are now helping to displace almost a million tonnes of climate pollution every month is proof that a renewable power sector is the foundation of a truly low carbon economy - keeping the lights on, creating jobs and cutting emissions."

Different figures released last month showed renewables had overtaken nuclear to become the main source of electricity in Scotland for the first time.

Wind and hydro power produced 10.3 terawatt-hours (TWh) of electricity in the first six months of this year, UK government statistics showed.

Nuclear power stations generated 7.8TWh over the same period, with 5.6TWh of electricity coming from coal-fired power stations and a further 1.4TWh from gas-fired stations.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Makes me mad every time I return to the homeland to see it's beautiful countryside blighted by the horrific wind farms.

Comment

Of course Scotland can just leech electricity from England like they do everything else, so claiming they've cut emissions is a bit meaningless.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
        Makes me mad every time I return to the homeland to see it's beautiful countryside blighted by the horrific wind farms.
        Sometimes you can't see the landscape at all:

London air pollution 'worst in Europe'
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Of course Scotland can just leech electricity from England like they do everything else, so claiming they've cut emissions is a bit meaningless.
          Except, right here right now, the leeching is happening in the other direction.

Both Scotland and Wales are net exporters of electricity, with England importing electricity from both countries and from continental Europe (via the France and Netherlands interconnectors).

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...and_supply.pdf
          In fact England is sucking Europe dry. Imagine what would happen to price if England left the EU!
          Last edited by scooterscot; 12 December 2014, 10:07.

Comment

Why is Scotland polluting the atmosphere just to export electricity to England?

I like windmills and to suggest Scotland is ruined by them is moronic. Scotland is a very large (relatively) and very empty place. This is like complaining a national park is too busy because most people never go more than 500m from their car, while the other 99% of the park is virtually deserted.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

It takes a prime-time wazzock to confuse and conflate pollution with carbon dioxide.

Pollution is bad, carbon dioxide is not
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Sometimes you can't see the landscape at all:
                Random article from 2010...

Besides air pollution is not C02

As for the OP, Government figures on amount of CO2 always makes me laugh, how do they measure it?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  It takes a prime-time wazzock to confuse and conflate pollution with carbon dioxide.

Pollution is bad, carbon dioxide is not

Burning fossil fuels is a leading contribution of pollution and the generation of Co2. Surely you realise that? You're just playing dumb with me, right?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Burning fossil fuels is a leading contribution of pollution and the generation of Co2. Surely you realise that? You're just playing dumb with me, right?
                    Are you really saying that the pollution in London is being caused by all those power stations in London ?

The article you quoted was talking about reduction of CO2 as being the most important factor

now his failure is complete
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X