• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long commutes - coping with

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long commutes - coping with

So do you get used to?

Started a gig a few weeks ago. 60 miles each way so 1 hr-1.15 on a good day to drive. Or 90 mins door to door on the train.
    Driving is a lot less hassle and a bit quicker but its knackering me out.

Do you get used to it? Im not as young as I used to be but this is doing me in. Of course, could get train and have once or twice but its hassle.

Negotiate some days working off-site?

Used to listening to my German CD's on the commute.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mankyspanky View Post
      So do you get used to?

Started a gig a few weeks ago. 60 miles each way so 1 hr-1.15 on a good day to drive. Or 90 mins door to door on the train.
      Driving is a lot less hassle and a bit quicker but its knackering me out.

Do you get used to it? Im not as young as I used to be but this is doing me in. Of course, could get train and have once or twice but its hassle.

If you can use the client's car park then drive.
      You can use your car to have a lunchtime snooze or if it has tinted windows; a quick wank.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        Negotiate some days working off-site?

Used to listening to my German CD's on the commute.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hitlers-Spee.../dp/B001GA80GY

Edit. Be the first to write a review
        Last edited by Paddy; 14 December 2014, 11:51.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Scary when you listen to them, eh? They always begin with 'I passionately believe..', who else uses that turn of phrase?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

depends on traffic - is it relatively easy just long or is there a lot of stop/start queueing etc

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              depends on traffic - is it relatively easy just long or is there a lot of stop/start queueing etc
              Yep, this is everything. I can handle up to about 90 mins if it's actual driving but traffic tests me very quickly.

OP, I did years of long car commutes - I found radio 4 helped as it was engaging. Plus podcasts - especially comedy. Takes some planning but it got me through.

Comment

My commute is 2000+ kms, 7 hours, door to door. Provided there's not ATR strike, computer failure, fog, snow, problem with a plane or plane just being late. Then it can be anywhere up to 24 hours one way.
                I only do it 2-4 times a month, but please stop whining.
                I think at least a million people in UK endure the commute as long as what you described.

Comment

Thats not really a long commute, my trip to Edinburgh every day takes longer. Mix between train and car, go 1st class on the train and take advantage of the extras - my train does bacon rolls, newspapers and coffee if you are in 1st class. Get a large old luxury car with a great sound system and play your favourite music in comfort. Listen to radio 4 and learn stuff.

It does get wearing, but the more luxury you can do it in, the longer it takes to become unbearable.

I do find if I can agree to do wednesdays from home it is so much better.
                  World's Best Martini

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                    My commute is 2000+ kms, 7 hours, door to door. Provided there's not ATR strike, computer failure, fog, snow, problem with a plane or plane just being late. Then it can be anywhere up to 24 hours one way.
                    I only do it 2-4 times a month, but please stop whining.
                    I think at least a million people in UK endure the commute as long as what you described.
                    Doing something a couple of times a month isn't really the same at all. In terms of fatigue, I'd much rather stay away.

Comment

Working...
                    X