• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Insurance - Business Usage - more expensive?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Insurance - Business Usage - more expensive?

Bought the car insurance last week and as normal, I put down SDP & Commuting

I am using train/tram to get to client co, but was wondering if it's more on the premium?

I mean Business usage, yes your a business and I am "commuting" to client co, not sure of the difference really.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Was about an extra tenner (in total) on my policy. As you're a business and travelling to a client, not having it isn't really an option.
    Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
      Was about an extra tenner (in total) on my policy. As you're a business and travelling to a client, not having it isn't really an option.
      I thought as much, I'll give the insurance people a call.

qh

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
        As you're a business and travelling to a client, not having it isn't really an option.
        You are not YourCo, you are 2 separate legal entities.

YourCo Employee commuting to the the client using his personal vehicle is not business use. Otherwise 90% of people are using their cars for business....

YourCo Employee delivering pizza using his personal vehicle probably is, but it's not what the OP is asking i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          I mean Business usage, yes you're a business and I am "commuting" to client co, not sure of the difference really.

qh
          No you are not. You are making a business trip to your client which is why you can claim the mileage.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I mean Business usage, yes your a business and I am "commuting" to client co, not sure of the difference really.

qh
            Commuting - travelling to your regular place of work.

Business use - travelling for work to anywhere else.

If you are claiming expenses to a temporary place of work, then it's business use rather than commuting. If you aren't claiming expenses to get to client site, then you might get away with classing it as commuting.

For the few quid a year it costs, I don't think it's worth the risk of finding out you're not insured if you need it.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Commuting - travelling to your regular place of work.

Business use - travelling for work to anywhere else.

If you are claiming expenses to a temporary place of work, then it's business use rather than commuting. If you aren't claiming expenses to get to client site, then you might get away with classing it as commuting.

For the few quid a year it costs, I don't think it's worth the risk of finding out you're not insured if you need it.
              Yeah I was wondering more about the cost, ie greedy insurance companies adding on another £100+ but if it's only 10-20 notes I'll add it on.

qh

Comment

Yeah I was wondering more about the cost, ie greedy insurance companies adding on another £100+ but if it's only 10-20 notes I'll add it on.

qh
                Might not even add that much if your mileage is low enough.

Comment

YMMV. ;-)

qh

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    Might not even add that much if your mileage is low enough.
                    When I was 18 I purchased a classic car and promptly found out the hard way I couldn't get insurance until I was 19 - or, rather, couldn't find any at a <£5k until I was 19. Anyway, turned 19, and managed to insure it for about £700 a year and it came with business insurance. I know it's all statistically driven, but as a consumer, insurance can feel random at best.

Comment

Working...
                    X