• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

not enough / too much experience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not enough / too much experience

Do you remember once too often hearing the phrase at the beginning of your career "You've not got enough experience"

Well these days it's "You've perhaps too much experience"

You can't win. Is there a professional service out there that can dumb down my CV? And honestly, why would having too much experience be a problem for a client?
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Do you remember once too often hearing the phrase at the beginning of your career "You've not got enough experience"

Well these days it's "You've perhaps too much experience"

You can't win. Is there a professional service out there that can dumb down my CV? And honestly, why would having too much experience be a problem for a client?

Code words for "Regardless the salary/rate range we have advertised, what you want is too much, we would prefer to pay way less".

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      Code words for "Regardless the salary/rate range we have advertised, what you want is too much, we would prefer to pay way less".
      I had thought that myself. This is an American company. We'd all prefer to pay less at the end of day.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        Undoubtedly this.

I had it a couple of times when contracting. Nothing you can do about it (except reduce your rate if desparate!0.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          Undoubtedly this.

I had it a couple of times when contracting. Nothing you can do about it (except reduce your rate if desparate!0.
          Again my thoughts exactly. However rate was not discussed until after that feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Again my thoughts exactly. However rate was not discussed until after that feedback.
            That's when they equate experience with what they assume you will want to be paid.

Pretty stupid really, should at least hear what you want before rejecting based on money, rather on an assumption of what money you want.

And someone with a lot of experience might actually be looking for a step back to re-train, or simply be desperate for anything.
            Last edited by jmo21; 17 December 2014, 11:53.

Comment

Over qualified means 'you've got too many skills and were only willing to pay you peanuts & we reckon you'll bugger off elsewhere when you get bored'

Too senior means 'you've got too much experience & you're more qualified to do my job then I am so you're a threat so I won't hire you'
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Over qualified means 'you've got too many skills and were only willing to pay you peanuts & we reckon you'll bugger off elsewhere when you get bored'
                I agree. But that's if you're looking for a permie position imo. You want results you buy them. You want loyalty you get a gimp.

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Too senior means 'you've got too much experience & you're more qualified to do my job then I am so you're a threat so I won't hire you'
                We've all been there before. I recall one PM I once worked for, come decision time in meetings there was a silence from him. He'd glance my direction, I'd give a nod of approval. Gosh he was weak. Permied his way up the company ladder until he was out of his depth. He fired me a month or two later. I later learnt the project went sideways and he left the company.

Comment

Working...
                X