• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Discussion Document on Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Discussion Document on Expenses

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...e_expenses.pdf

Although it's aimed at umbrella companies, this will hit us all if we aren't careful. For example, one potential idea is

One way to achieve this would be to determine that where the individual is supplied through a third party the workplace of the end client would in all cases be a “permanent workplace”. In this case no relief for travel from home to workplace, and associated subsistence, would be available. This would apply whatever the form of the third party.
    So no more travel or subsistence expenses allowed if you are a contractor

Not good news for all of us if this comes to pass.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

The subsequent points do suggest that they are aware of the implications thus would have on PSCs. As does the second proposal. So not quite all doom and gloom.

Comment

Yes, leave that for the FLCs and new agency reporting requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability
        Combined with the FLCs (although purely hypothetical at this stage), agency reporting requirements and now these changes for umbrellas, it's as though they're trying to kill off contracting. What they gain in taxes short term will be offset by the diminution of this sector of the market and the attendant loss of productivity and flexibility in the UK's economy. I guess people will still do it for the control and flexibility it offers but with none of the permie benefits on offer and no doubt very similar levels of tax contemplated, will it be seen as worth the effort?
        I've only had two contracts that were near home (actually they've both been WFH) - if the travel and subsistence become something that I can no longer claim as a freelancer, that's the end for me. I have no intention of paying my travel to London each week out of my own pocket - it's just not worth my while to do that.

I guess if you are reasonably local to where you tend to work, then it works out - but if not, then anyone who has a reasonable level of expenditure is going to be f**ked completely if this is what they implement.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Got me before I deleted that - I would caveat what I said with the prospect of the FLCs potentially offering more in the way of employment rights, but it's all pie in the sky and seems to reduce contractors to glorified temp workers. All speculative but very bleak.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            The subsequent points do suggest that they are aware of the implications thus would have on PSCs. As does the second proposal. So not quite all doom and gloom.
            Remember that HMRC said that PSCs would be exempt from the new reporting requirements as well, though.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Regarding that, is it a done deal at this point? So from July onwards, agencies will have to report all payments made to those whom they engage.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Remember that HMRC said that PSCs would be exempt from the new reporting requirements as well, though.
                If only there was such a legal entity as a PSC it would make HMRCs life so much easier.

If only... Hang on, I've got an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                  Regarding that, is it a done deal at this point? So from July onwards, agencies will have to report all payments made to those whom they engage.
                  I believe so. It's been / being discussed in the IPSE fora about what the next course of action is - no-one is happy with the published rules, though, apart from HMRC.

Not sure what the next course of action is - if it goes nowhere then possibly a judicial review?
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    I believe so. It's been / being discussed in the IPSE fora about what the next course of action is - no-one is happy with the published rules, though, apart from HMRC.

Not sure what the next course of action is - if it goes nowhere then possibly a judicial review?
                    Add it to the manifesto so we get a seat at the table. It's the only way.

Ok, I'll stop trolling now.

Comment

Working...
                    X