• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agency Workers invited to Christmas parties?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency Workers invited to Christmas parties?

Are Agency Workers being considered by the NHS when inviting staff to the annual Christmas Party as the Agency Workers Regulations (AWR) demands equal treatment of agency workers with those of permanent staff ?
    Last edited by Locumsumbrella; 17 December 2014, 16:32.

You ought to know - you ARE an umbrella company, aren't you?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      You ought to know - you ARE an umbrella company, aren't you?
      Thanks for your comment. We're just trying to know from the Agency Workers if they do get discriminated or get equal treatment.

Comment

I see, it didn't read like that before you edited it.

Do you mean contractors working within IR35/using umbrellas?

AWR doesn't mean much around here...

(When I contracted to the NHS I expected and wanted discrimination.)
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by Locumsumbrella View Post
          Are Agency Workers being considered by the NHS when inviting staff to the annual Christmas Party as the Agency Workers Regulations (AWR) demands equal treatment of agency workers with those of permanent staff ?
          Looks like this is an annual STAFF Christmas party.A genuinely independent contractor working outside of IR35 should be contractually independent as well as act as an independent contractor in the workplace (separate from staff). Anything to do with AWR should be specifically clarified in the contract (eg between the Agency/client and the contractor).

Comment

Originally posted by Forbes Young View Post
            Looks like this is an annual STAFF Christmas party.A genuinely independent contractor working outside of IR35 should be contractually independent as well as act as an independent contractor in the workplace (separate from staff). Anything to do with AWR should be specifically clarified in the contract (eg between the Agency/client and the contractor).

Yes, it is going to depend on the contractual arrangements and whether they truly reflect the reality of the relationship, ie, whether the reality is that the individual is not in business on their own account and do work under the supervision, direction and control of the hirer – but that could lead us into a whole different discussion. Genuine limited company contractors are outside of the scope of AWR.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              I see, it didn't read like that before you edited it.

Do you mean contractors working within IR35/using umbrellas?

AWR doesn't mean much around here...

(When I contracted to the NHS I expected and wanted discrimination.)
              Meant umbrella contractors who are outside the scope of IR35. Perhaps not the right place for AWR

Comment

Meant umbrella contractors who are outside the scope of IR35. Perhaps not the right place for AWR
                Yep, you need to post in TempUK. Down the hall, next door on the left...

Comment

Genuine limited company contractors are outside of the scope of AWR.
                  Yes - indeed. AWR shouldn't be an issue for independent contractors operating through their own ltd company.

Comment

Working...
                  X