• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oil Contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Contracts

BBC News - North Sea oil industry 'close to collapse'

Anyone contracting in the oil domain? What's the situation?

Always fancied a bit of Oil & Gas - but not now!
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

I suspect this story contains more hyperbole than fact. Operations will not stop their just not as profitable. If tax cuts are not given to the industry then I suspect many companies around the UK supporting the industry are going to find any growth they've been enjoying going into reverse.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Crude price low = no investment
      Crude price high = let's turn the west coast of Canada in to an open mine.

Basically, no big juicy contracts in Upstream. Refining margins should be bumper, downstream is driven by regional economy so the market isn't improving but still ticking over.

Money is still being spent but not on anything new.

Comment

Where's Alex Salmond gone?

I was up for a role with Wood Group earlier this year. I didn't get it and I was gutted at the time because it looked really interesting.

"Aberdeen-based Wood Group announced a pay freeze for staff, and cut rates for its contractors.""

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post

I was up for a role with Wood Group earlier this year. I didn't get it and I was gutted at the time because it looked really interesting.

"Aberdeen-based Wood Group announced a pay freeze for staff, and cut rates for its contractors.""
          Given the typical quality of a Wood Group office I wouldn't be that annoyed..
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            BBC News - North Sea oil industry 'close to collapse'

Anyone contracting in the oil domain? What's the situation?

Always fancied a bit of Oil & Gas - but not now!
            Know an O&G contractor who has been taken off the bench with more work than she can handle. Long term projects are unaffected by the short-term ups and downs.
            Know some permie chemical engineers who seem totally unperturbed with job prospects.

Don't know how you would transition into this market without experience though.
            One good thing about this industry is that it does not seem to be biased against older workers - which is the opposite from I.T.

Comment

The oil industry is subject to TRIPLE taxation.

try to reduce that and the greenies will call it a subsidy

Ring fenced Corp tax (ring fenced so losses can not be offset against profits) 30%
              Supplementary Charge 32%
              Petroleum Revenue tax 50% of whatever is left (per oilfield)
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I believe that decline in the oil industry will be offset by the upward trend in every other business caused by the falling energy prices and lower costs. About time to cut the huge profits of the oil giants. Too bad it will be the low end employees who will take the brunt of the cuts.

Subsidize them? WTF

Lets increase the fuel duty, keep the petrol prices the same and use the proceeds to subsidize the oil giants...

Comment

Any industry can be taxed into oblivion,

slightly OT but did you know that one of the big German power generating companies E.ON have decided to split their operations into conventional and green. The idea is to hive off the subsidised from the heavily taxed. They just about had enough of being demonised and penalised for giving people what they want so they have set themselves up to milk the system.
                  The heavily taxed half still had a duty in law to provide constant reliable lekky, the renewable side doesn't, because they cant. madness on stilts
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                    Wait for it. He'll be PM in May after forming a coalition in with Lab and the Lib-dems.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X