• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PM for Mudskipper

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM for Mudskipper

Hello.

I went cycling today and I have some questions.

I took a heart rate monitor as I wanted to collect data on my ride. I'm very much a data and graph person so it keeps me motivated.

My questions are :

I have been trying to keep my heart rate under 150 bpm during exercise. Fine in the home gym, but on the road I regularly noticed the pulse creeping into the mid 160s during hill climbs. Do you know what your strawberry is doing while cycling? If so, what kind of MHR do you work to?

Second question. Said heart rate monitor said after completing 20 miles in 2hrs 40 (bloody strong headwind on the way back killed any chance of a time) that I had burned 2660 calories. Is this even possible or is my monitor a liar?

TIA

Suity
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Hello.

I went cycling today and I have some questions.

I took a heart rate monitor as I wanted to collect data on my ride. I'm very much a data and graph person so it keeps me motivated.

My questions are :

I have been trying to keep my heart rate under 150 bpm during exercise. Fine in the home gym, but on the road I regularly noticed the pulse creeping into the mid 160s during hill climbs. Do you know what your strawberry is doing while cycling? If so, what kind of MHR do you work to?

Second question. Said heart rate monitor said after completing 20 miles in 2hrs 40 (bloody strong headwind on the way back killed any chance of a time) that I had burned 2660 calories. Is this even possible or is my monitor a liar?

TIA

Suity
    Good on you.

MHR varies very much from person to person.

My calculated MHR should be around 175, but when I'm running it regularly averages 186 and maxes at 198. I should be dead. Probably a better bet is to assess how you feel on a scale of 1-10, and try and stick to 6-8.

I think your calories are a tad optimistic - generally I reckon on about 350 per 10 miles - more if you're cycling up the Alpe d'Huez...

If your strawberry is taking a battering, you could try more padding on your shorts.

Edit: when cycling, my average HR is generally ~10 bpm lower than running, and fluctuates a lot more. I think this is pretty normal.
    Last edited by mudskipper; 18 December 2014, 15:31.

Comment

you need some cream for your strawberry, they aren't the same without.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

1. MHR is theoretically 220 minus your age.

It is what it is though and the only way to test it is to go flat out. Knowing your diet, alcohol consumption and smoking habit if I recommended you do that it would be me effectively giving you a permaban.

2. I would very much doubt that you could burn 2600 calories in 2:40 minutes.

Comment

Cheers folks. At 160 bpm I was still able to chat. 167 and I started feeling like it was time to pull up for a bit.

Minnie, I quit smoking 2 months ago, and now drink like a grown up.

Looks like L2B 2015 is on.

Comment

Whats your steed?
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Whats your steed?
              21 speed mountain bike on slicks.

Comment

I see figures of about 500 calories per hour for moderate indoor cycling bandied around, but I take that to mean 130-150bpm ish. Over 2.5 hours is great going although was that non-stop?
                How much of the time was your heart hammering, moderate, and how much were you sticking your legs out shouting "WHEEEEEEEEEE" going down hills?

If you're into apps and data have you got it set up to map your route so you can annoy everyone on FaceBook?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  If you're into apps and data have you got it set up to map your route so you can annoy everyone on FaceBook?
                  yes, yes he has!
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Hey Suity, if you do the LB next year, any chance of sticking some sort of tracking device to your helmet ?
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X