• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting with ex-employee - IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting with ex-employee - IR35

Hi,

Please accept my apologies if this question has been beaten to death, I understand that each circumstance could be treated different and hence my query.

I work in the IT sector as a developer pretty new to contracting, my first contract(6 months + 2 months extension) is just about to complete earlier to which I was working as permanent employee with a company for 8 years (due to downsizing I was made redundant). I still feel that I tend to think like a permie and not a contractor, I know its a mind set and I have a lot to learn

My ex boss has approached me with an offer to go in as a contractor as he is bidding for a funding and wants me to help manage and deliver the project, I am paranoid that if take this contact and provide the service I will be inviting IR35.

I have been looking for roles, probably its the time of the year when jobs are hard to come for my skills! So whilst its tempting to take up the offer I dont want to lose my sleep over IR35. If I could I would like to avoid it.

I spoke to a very helpful lady in QDOS who mentioned that as I was made redundant and then I took up a contract with another client it would help but still there is a chance for investigation and suggested that I go for an insurance cover and proper review of my contract before I start the role.

My question is If I want to execute this contract from my company is insurance and contract review the best way forward? Another suggestion was to make my company dormant and work through an umbrella company for the period of this contract.

Can you guys please suggest and help me decide which is the best way to get into this contract if I decide to go with it.

Many Thanks

Working for an ex employee doesn't make you inside IR35 by default. But it might increase the risk of investigation. You need to make sure your contract is reviewed and make sure you are engaged to deliver a very specific set of deliverables.

The biggest challenge will be making sure your working practices are that of an independent contractor and not an employee. IMO, this is he riskiest part of working for an ex employee - there's a much higher chance of you being treated like an employee as you used to be one.

If it's a good gig and good rate I wouldn't turn it down just because I was a former employee but you have to be on the ball.

Comment

If you decide to take the gig and declare yourself inside IR35, you can still do this via your ltd - you don't need to go brolly. You can also mitigate tax burden by sticking lots into pension etc, if you can afford to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by redbridge View Post
        My question is If I want to execute this contract from my company is insurance and contract review the best way forward?
        Yes.
        Another suggestion was to make my company dormant and work through an umbrella company for the period of this contract.
        That would be silly. Remember - IR35 isn't a crime.

You can still operate via Ltd and pay the tax. Although if it's a different role to what you were doing before, is project specific, and with defined deliverables, then it's probably outside IR35. If you (and QDOS) can reasonably argue that it's not IR35 caught then it's reasonable to operate as outside IR35. If you worry that there's still a chance that HMRC might challenge successfully against you then mitigate that by keeping the warchest topped up with the tax you would have paid.

Comment

I spoke to a very helpful lady in QDOS who mentioned that as I was made redundant and then I took up a contract with another client it would help but still there is a chance for investigation and suggested that I go for an insurance cover and proper review of my contract before I start the role.
          Listen to the lady at QDOS, if the contract review passes and you get the insurance, i don't believe you will have grounds to worry. If you still think this insufficient then This VV

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          If you decide to take the gig and declare yourself inside IR35, you can still do this via your ltd - you don't need to go brolly. You can also mitigate tax burden by sticking lots into pension etc, if you can afford to do so.

Comment

Thanks all for your time and reply, I emailed my ex employer that that I am concerned that I will have to declare myself inside IR35 to provide the service he is requesting from me, so he replied back stating that we could do the following in addition to the job specification which would be a lead position and not developer which I was doing as a perm employee.

1. Might be helpful to have a simple website & email address for my company
            2. You need you own professional indemnity insurance.
            3. You would need to quote a 'fixed price' for the projects rather than the day -rate. We would then issue you with Purchase Orders for you to invoice accordingly.
            4. The issue with being your last permanent employer!
            - in addition to you not being on the payroll there are other changes which would mean that you would not be re-joining the company on the previous terms & conditions;
            1. Now that we have offices we no longer have permanent staff working from home but contractors can work from their home office when it is appropriate to do so.
            2. Non -contractor staff are required to complete a timesheet and can work flexi hours.
            3. We would issue you with a security pass that clearly stated that you were a xxxxx contractor
            4. You would not be entitled to holiday pay, sick pay, or to join the company pension scheme
            5. The contract needs to state that you would be entitled to supply an alternative, suitably qualified person to do the work or to assist you with the project.

I think the above should help in case of an investigation.

In addition I have decided to go with QDOS and also get the contract reviewed for IR35 and suggested make sure working practices are that of an independent contractor and not an employee.

Once again Thank you all very much.

Regards

Comment

Much of the above seems fine although a fixed price quote is not necessary. It does show an element of financial risk not present in charging a day rate but charging a day rate isn't really a pointer to being inside IR35.

If they are happy to accept a reasonably unfettered right of substitution clause and would genuinely allow you to substitute if necessary, then that will likely be enough to keep you well outside of IR35. All of the other things are good pointers to being outside too.

You should still:

* Make sure the scope of the project is as well defined as it could be
              * Avoid working on anything else unless you draw up a new schedule
              * Take steps to ensure you are treated like a contractor and not like an (ex-)employee.
              * If you can retain control over your working hours and where you do the work this will help too

You should certainly have your own PI insurance but I wouldn't worry too much about your own company website for now.

Comment

Thanks all for your time and reply, I emailed my ex employer that that I am concerned that I will have to declare myself inside IR35 to provide the service he is requesting from me, so he replied back stating that we could do the following in addition to the job specification which would be a lead position and not developer which I was doing as a perm employee.

1. Might be helpful to have a simple website & email address for my company
                2. You need you own professional indemnity insurance.
                3. You would need to quote a 'fixed price' for the projects rather than the day -rate. We would then issue you with Purchase Orders for you to invoice accordingly.
                4. The issue with being your last permanent employer!
                - in addition to you not being on the payroll there are other changes which would mean that you would not be re-joining the company on the previous terms & conditions;
                1. Now that we have offices we no longer have permanent staff working from home but contractors can work from their home office when it is appropriate to do so.
                2. Non -contractor staff are required to complete a timesheet and can work flexi hours.
                3. We would issue you with a security pass that clearly stated that you were a xxxxx contractor
                4. You would not be entitled to holiday pay, sick pay, or to join the company pension scheme
                5. The contract needs to state that you would be entitled to supply an alternative, suitably qualified person to do the work or to assist you with the project.

I think the above should help in case of an investigation.
                If all of that is reflected in reality then you are in a good position. As your ex-employerprospective client appears to be understanding of your concerns, and very much on the ball, you could reply with a "Confirmation of Working Arrangements" questionnaire. Speak to your reviewer about this as they should be able to supply a template, you can get it reviewed the same time as the contract.

Comment

The offer from your employer sounds good. Doing fixed price contracts is almost a guarantee it is outside IR35.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thank you

Thank you all very much.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                    X