• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who punts on the stock market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who punts on the stock market?

Many a year ago (dotcom) I used to have a flutter on the stock market. Over a two year period I invested(nay wasted) 2k a month.

I lost most of it when the towers went down. One company had something to do with insurance and was tied to the tower, the other made airplanes.

I then spent 3 months daytrading to get some losses back and my last set of shares was worth £20k in a company called Spirent. I bought them at around 6p, sold them at 11p and used the money for the shop. The shares then went to over 60p a share(gutted to say the least).

I now steer clear.

Who still punts on the stock market?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan
    I lost most of it when the towers went down. One company had something to do with insurance and was tied to the tower, the other made airplanes.
    Now I know why Mordac calls you "Lucky"...

Comment

ahh penny shares

the old man started on them a few years back, when he closed his portfolio he bought a house for about £1.5milln, and can he event afford a birthday card for me.

Fecker
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
        Many a year ago (dotcom) I used to have a flutter on the stock market. Over a two year period I invested(nay wasted) 2k a month.

I then spent 3 months daytrading to get some losses back and my last set of shares was worth £20k in a company called Spirent. I bought them at around 6p, sold them at 11p and used the money for the shop. The shares then went to over 60p a share(gutted to say the least).

I now steer clear.

Who still punts on the stock market?
        I bought airline shares on September 13th 2001. They were very cheap....

Comment

I punt on the Cam whilst a beautiful undergrad girl sucks on my big toe.

Comment

All money should be channelled into houses in the UK. They are going through the roof. Easy, crash proof returns.

HTH
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I regular punt on the stock markets. I don't trade shares though, they're too expensive, slow and you need too much money.

Try CFDs , Listed CFDs, covered warrants. They allow you to use smaller amounts of cash to leverage up greater volumes. The result is greater profit or loss for your initial capital.

Good luck.

Comment

I was thinking of giving £20000 to the Labour party.
                Peerage and sound financial move methinks!
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

The shares then went to over 60p a share
                  Exactly....i.e. try again

The trouble is this often happens the instincts take over, you lose money and then never touch them again.

I invested in the late 1990's in emerging markets, the portfolio halved in value and I was very tempted to dump the whole lot, but I didn't, I checked the financial health of the companies, making sure I hadn't bought basket cases and you know within a few years the halved portfolio had quadrupled.

I'm now heavily building up a position after the Spring drop. I'm putting thousands more pounds in to selected stocks.

So the morale is, get decent stock valuations i.e. don't buy "puffed up" stocks and get an analysis and it is available and if the stock is good and it goes down, hey buy some more

I've just gone big time into a Brazilian telecoms, it just dropped a few percent so, hey they're even cheaper man, and got some more, and guesss what? just made a few hundred overnight

The thing is once you get into the groove i.e. holding cash so you can dive in during those heart stopping 20% drops, and have the guts to go in and buy when all the stock sites have horrible red fonts all over them you can really limit your losses, and make some serious dosh.

I have access to an Equity research website from an Investment bank, so I check the valuations.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

It's all good, just make sure you have stop losses in place so that if the shares suddenly do start to dive your stock is auto sold. Unless you are watching them all the time the market is open it could happen to you so the added security is useful.

Also funds are worth looking into. I used up my ISA allowance on the Fidelity Special Situations Fund a few years ago and make a nice 40% increase over 2 years. Was useful as part of a deposit for a new place

Comment

Working...
                    X