• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to lie with statistics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to lie with statistics

A great book, but has anyone ever come across an example close up and personal ?

I knew a guy who would put his slides on the OHP at an angle to make the flat slope look like it was going up. A Scottish service manager who produced his stats including bank holidays from Glasgow or edinburgh, which were different. So he would get a 5% boost more often than the English guys.

Nothing Tesco-esque, but definitely telling porkies via the numbers
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Im all for making life simpler, why complicate things with stats? Just ******* lie!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

1 out of 10 people think I'm funny

EternalOptimist.

Which we all know is a lie. It's zero.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

10% of road accidents are caused by driving after alcohol consumption.

That means we could cut road accidents by 90% by eradicating sober driving.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

heh heh.

and 75% of traffic collisions are speed related
          the other 25% are caused by cars not moving
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            A great book, but has anyone ever come across an example close up and personal ?

I knew a guy who would put his slides on the OHP at an angle to make the flat slope look like it was going up. A Scottish service manager who produced his stats including bank holidays from Glasgow or edinburgh, which were different. So he would get a 5% boost more often than the English guys.

Nothing Tesco-esque, but definitely telling porkies via the numbers
            Saw a blatant example a few years ago - A bar graph where the taller bars were also wider in proportion, and seen obliquely so they looked much bigger by volume than their height difference alone would indicate.

Having recently bought Would They Lie to You, I'd probably recommend it. But would I lie to you? I haven't yet got round to reading it.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Graphs with y-axes that don't start from zero always annoy me. It makes a small change look like a much more dramatic doubling, or something. Has anyone ever seen a climate change graph starting at zero kelvins? The resulting near enough straight line would have made it much harder to convince anybody of anything.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Graphs with y-axes that don't start from zero always annoy me. It makes a small change look like a much more dramatic doubling, or something. Has anyone ever seen a climate change graph starting at zero kelvins? The resulting near enough straight line would have made it much harder to convince anybody of anything.
                Fancy 3D-effect graphs with an oblique "partly sideways" view (see my post above) can increase the apparent steepness even more.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

RIP Dave Allen....

Comment

And of course, nearly half of the population is of below average intelligence.

Comment

Working...
                    X