• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Women in the Services front line

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women in the Services front line

An equality step too far?

BBC News - Women could join British infantry by 2016

Yes, they can probably do all the jobs except the most physically demanding but, fighting to kill or be killed? I dont think I can make that stepmyself.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

They should be allowed to decide if they can stomach it, and assessed to the forces' satisfaction they can do the job, just like men should.

Although would this mean all women would be available to get PUT on the front line just as men are, or that they would be allowed to opt in/out?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      They should be allowed to decide if they can stomach it, and assessed to the forces' satisfaction they can do the job, just like men should.

Although would this mean all women would be available to get PUT on the front line just as men are, or that they would be allowed to opt in/out?
      This ^^

Last time i checked there was no compulsory military service in the UK. If the women want to do it - let them

Comment

I don't think it is the enemy they have to be worried about.

As squaddies have proven time and time again they cant deal with women in their midst, the first woman gets incapacitated on the field of war all the squaddies will be dropping their rifles and jumping on her.

Comment

I know its popular in sci fi that women fight alongside men. But the reality I think is different.

What happens when the first female front line soldier is captured and gang raped or publically has their head cut off?

Is it ok to simplistically say 'well, yeah. she wanted to fight on the front line'?
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

There might be a few women who will make the grade, but it would be a tiny number of recruits. Not sure what the costs would be
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

The issue is not one of equality though. No one is saying that someone could not do the job because of their gender, there probably are statistically fewer women who could but that is due to their physical conditioning and not their gender.

The issue is how it would effect morale and unit cohesion.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
                The issue is not one of equality though. No one is saying that someone could not do the job because of their gender, there probably are statistically fewer women who could but that is due to their physical conditioning and not their gender.

The issue is how it would effect morale and unit cohesion.
                Not probably, definitely statistically fewer. That's why there are mens and womens events in Sport
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  This ^^

Last time i checked there was no compulsory military service in the UK. If the women want to do it - let them
                  I meant, if you DO join the army are you able to control this? Women might currently only join the forces knowing they cannot be on the front line so changing things might mean less want to sign up. And it puts existing female soldiers who signed up under different rules in an interesting position.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    I know its popular in sci fi that women fight alongside men. But the reality I think is different.

What happens when the first female front line soldier is captured and gang raped or publically has their head cut off?

Is it ok to simplistically say 'well, yeah. she wanted to fight on the front line'?
                    Why is that different to a similar thing happening to a man?

I don't buy the argument that the male soldiers won't be able keep their mind on their jobs, or any such thing, but I think it's fair to say when you're fighting the likes of the Taliban female soliders could well be singled out as targets and that makes them a liability (much like Prince Harry for that matter).
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X