• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear: Public Support Licence Fee Rise

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear: Public Support Licence Fee Rise

Public Support Licence Fee Rise

The public is willing to pay an extra £31 a year for the BBC licence fee, according to a report commissioned by the government.
    Research found people would pay an average of £162.66 for the BBC's services up to 2017.

Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell is expected to say in a speech that the public value the BBC but "won't hand over a blank cheque".

The current licence fee is £131.50. The BBC want it increased to £180 by 2013.

Ms Jowell is due to address the Royal Television Society later on Thursday.

'More choice'

While those surveyed agreed they would pay more for the BBC's current and future services, such as more local news, 75% said they would prefer planned new BBC services to be funded by subscription while keeping the licence fee at its current level.

"People want to have more of a say in the future of the BBC. They want more choice over what they pay. They want more control over what services they receive," Ms Jowell is expected to tell the society.

The survey, compiled by the Work Foundation, questioned nearly 7000 people for the report which was commissioned by the Department for Media, Culture and Sport (DCMS).

The report also found that of the BBC's proposed services, new digital and online learning for 14 to 18-year-olds was most popular, with 67.7% in favour.

A free-to-air satellite service, more local news and improved quality programming were also popular among those surveyed.

Those willing to pay most to fund the BBC - between £15 and £31 a month as opposed to the £11 it currently costs - were more likely to be well-educated and earn over £50,000 a year.

Most of those surveyed agreed that the "BBC makes a moderate contribution to British life".

The culture secretary has already confirmed the licence fee will remain until 2016, but the government has yet to decide how much money it will get during the period of the next charter.

Decision expected

The corporation has asked for an increase of 2.3% above inflation to boost its programmes and digital services.

But Ms Jowell has said the BBC will not get its full amount, while commercial rivals such as ITV have opposed its request for more money.

The new licence fee settlement is expected to be announced in October, according to reports.

"This research will be considered together with the other evidence collected as part of this process when setting the future level of the licence fee," a DCMS spokeswoman told the BBC.

"We will also take into account the BBC's place in the market and a duty to ensure licence fee payers get value for money," she added.
    Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Nobody asked me. I would've told em to p1ss right off. More money to pay top whack to the likes of Moyles FFS!! And as for Sarah Cox - jeez...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I've just realised - I don't have a legit TV licence!

My mum used to get a free one for being over 75. It must be due for renewal soon. Do they still send out reminders every year?

Last thing I want is to be nicked for TV licence evasion !
      Blair, you cannot reach me now,
      No matter how you try,
      Goodbye cruel Labour,
      Your end is nigh.

International Talk Like a Pirate Day

Comment

Id like to see the questions these so called people were raised BECAUSE I can guarantee you if you asked a bunch of strangers if they would be willing to hand over £180 to the BBC for their tv licence that around 0% would say yes!

What we need is a Government who can actually think outside the square and get rid of the tv tax and force the BBC to run on an equal footing with its competition.

I shouldnt have to pay for the sh1t that is passed as news reporting on the BBC these days.

Mailman

Comment

I'm not convinced about the justification for above inflation increase for the license fee.

However I support the existance of the BBC and the license fee to pay for it. I don't want advertsing on the Beeb and I don't believe in subscription fees either for public service broadcasting.

ITV now days is a desperate affair. The day we have the plethora of stupid reality TV shows and nearly 30hrs a week of equally stupid TV gambling (i.e The Mint) on the BBC, is the day I'd support scrapping the license fee.

Comment

Working...
          X