• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your best Christmas present?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your best Christmas present?

What was your best Christmas present ever (so far!) ?

As a kid I loved reading. Rumer Godden's books about a dolls' house were a firm favourite. I desperately wanted a dolls' house - I think I've already shared the tale of the house my dad built for me out of Peter Stuyvesant cigarette cartons, lovingly spray painted submarine grey. Some of Godden's characters were Japanese dolls - Miss Happiness, Miss Flower, and the baby, Little Plum. Can't remember the ins and outs of the tale, but these dolls ended up with a Japanese house - the descriptions in the book were vividly beautiful. Our local library acquired such a dolls' house - every week I would spend a happy hour or so playing with it when we went to change our books. I loved that house.

I was devastated when we turned up one day and the house had gone. The librarian told me with that it had been sold - some lucky little girl was going to get it for Christmas. The library visits for the next few weeks seemed very flat.

Anyway, Christmas morning came, and the story has a predictably happy ending - there, in our living room, was the beautiful Japanese dolls' house. The only slightly less-than-perfect element was that I had to share it with my big sister, who had never read the books, and had very different ideas about how the dolls should be played with. Fortunately she lost interest quite quickly, so I was mostly left to my own devices.

Definitely my most memorable Christmas present - apart, perhaps, from ms#5 who turned up on Christmas Eve causing a lot more trouble than Miss Happiness and Miss Flower ever did

SY02,3,4,5,6.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      SY02,3,4,5,6.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Merry Christmas MS.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Merry Christmas MS.
          And to you and yours!

Comment

4 vouchers from MrsBP for various stuff throughout the year.

Comment

Got a brill present from an online friend (I published his Kindle novel for him) - a memory stick with thousands of music tracks on it, 32GB of old fart stuff, 50s to 80s.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A rather surprising one this year from Mrs Mangler, a Gibson Les Paul Std in tobacco sunburst with some really nice hardware upgrades. Well impressed. She must be shagging a guitar expert when I'm at work
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Last year, I went to stay with my auntie and I went to play by the tip, even though she warned me it was dangerous.
                  I strayed too close to the edge an fell down the chalk cliff. I fell through the roof of a shelter which was the cover for some sort of cave. two eyes stared at me from the dark and I realised it was a person, a Neanderthal called stig.
                  we became great friends, I helped him cut wood, it warms you twice, light a fire and get him well from his cold.
                  It was a super time, the best Chrimbo ever
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Last year, I went to stay with my auntie and I went to play by the tip, even though she warned me it was dangerous.
                    I strayed too close to the edge an fell down the chalk cliff. I fell through the roof of a shelter which was the cover for some sort of cave. two eyes stared at me from the dark and I realised it was a person, a Neanderthal called stig.
                    we became great friends, I helped him cut wood, it warms you twice, light a fire and get him well from his cold.
                    It was a super time, the best Chrimbo ever
                    Was that before or after he appeared on Top Gear?
                    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                    X