• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling mobile phone to my company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling mobile phone to my company

Hi

I have just bought a mobile phone. But purchased it from my personal account. I am just wondering if I can sell it to my Ltd company? I have literally just bought it today. If so, how do I go about doing it? Do I produce a receipt for the transaction?

And do I sell it for the same amount that I bought it for? I bought it under the RRP.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by bigmaz View Post
    Hi

I have just bought a mobile phone. But purchased it from my personal account. I am just wondering if I can sell it to my Ltd company? I have literally just bought it today. If so, how do I go about doing it? Do I produce a receipt for the transaction?

And do I sell it for the same amount that I bought it for? I bought it under the RRP.

Thanks in advance
    Selling it to yourco is easy and yes, for the RRP.

Make sure you do the important part and change the account to be in yourco name and pay the bill direct from yourco because it is not claimable as an expense.

Comment

Hi

Thanks in advance
      Did you buy the handset outright, i.e. without a contract, with the intent it would immediately be a company asset? If so then by definition it already belongs to the company and the company owes you the money. Treat it as a company expense paid out-of-pocket and reclaim as usual.

If the handset is paid by contract, or you want the company to pay for all calls, then the contract need to be transferred to the company name.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
        Did you buy the handset outright, i.e. without a contract, with the intent it would immediately be a company asset? If so then by definition it already belongs to the company and the company owes you the money. Treat it as a company expense paid out-of-pocket and reclaim as usual.

If the handset is paid by contract, or you want the company to pay for all calls, then the contract need to be transferred to the company name.
        Thanks for the replies. Yes, I bought the phone outright.

So do I simply transfer the money from my business account into my private account? Or do I need to do a receipt as well? And I pay myself market value of the phone? Even though I paid under the market value?

Comment

Did you buy the handset outright, i.e. without a contract, with the intent it would immediately be a company asset? If so then by definition it already belongs to the company and the company owes you the money.
          Doesn't there need to be some evidence that the supplier knew OP was buying it on his company's behalf, e.g. An invoice in the company name? OP would be best asking their accountant how they should handle this - they may be willing to turn a blind eye or they may insist that the phone belongs to OP and should be resold.

Comment

So do I simply transfer the money from my business account into my private account? Or do I need to do a receipt as well? And I pay myself market value of the phone? Even though I paid under the market value?
            If you were to do as Contreras advised, it should be what you paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              If you were to do as Contreras advised, it should be what you paid for it.
              Cool. And do I need to write a receipt or something for a record of me transferring money for it?

Comment

1. You paid for the phone on behalf of the company. It's immediately a company asset and the company owes you the exact amount paid. The original purchase receipt is needed for the company books. Record it as a purchase, paid out-of-pocket. The company can simply transfer you the amount, or if left outstanding then it's effectively a director's loan to be repaid or offset at some point in future.

2. You bought the phone personally and then sold it to the company. It seems you want to sell it at a profit too. IMHO, market value is what you have just paid for it, not RRP. But yes, you now need to create a receipt for the transfer and potentially deal with a personal tax liability for any profit.
                Last edited by Contreras; 28 December 2014, 11:18.

Comment

1. You paid for the phone on behalf of the company. It's immediately a company asset and the company owes you the exact amount paid. The original purchase receipt is needed for the company books. Record it as a purchase, paid out-of-pocket. The company can simply transfer you the amount, or if left outstanding then it's effectively a director's loan to be repaid or offset at some point in future.

2. You bought the phone personally and then sold it to the company. It seems you want to sell it at a profit too. IMHO, market value is what you have just paid for it, not RRP. But yes, you now need to create a receipt for the transfer and potentially deal with a personal tax liability for any profit.
                  Cool, I will transfer the amount I paid. Someone had said in passing that I should transfer the RRP amount. The shop is doing a one off deal, well chuffed, cannot get that price anywhere else

But yeah, it sounds dodgy making a profit on it... Lol

Comment

Cool, I will transfer the amount I paid. Someone had said in passing that I should transfer the RRP amount. The shop is doing a one off deal, well chuffed, cannot get that price anywhere else
                    Would an employer who is a medium or small company be happy to repay you the RRP or the price you actually paid?

These things aren't really hard to work out.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X