• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The dangers of torrenting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dangers of torrenting

So last Tuesday, two days before Xmas I was fired. I was woken at 2am in the morning on my vacation with a call from the US. I instantly ignored it and turned my phone off.

In the morning I listened to the voicemail. 'MF this is X(senior IT Director in the US). When you get this call you will find that you cannot login to your email, access the network and all of your company accounts / logins have been suspended. In addition we want your laptop returned to security in the London office in the next 24 hours. Please contact us to arrange a courier. Please contact me back urgently on 9999999'.

Bastards! I had been discussing taking a new role in the company and they'd preempted and ******* terminated me.

We reserve this for people who we can't get hold of directly or who have too much access/ influence.

I phoned HR Europe. I appear to have been terminated. Can't see anything but let us check. An hour later I get a call back. 'Well a system termination request has been implemented but we don't have anything.'

I then phone the Us number knowing its 2am in the morning and amazingly the IT Director Answers.

'MF?'
    'Yes. Why the hell have you terminated me?'
    'Terminated??? We haven't terminated you. Your laptop has been hacked and is being used as a bot to attack our network. We've suspended everything you touch and we want your laptop. I'm flying in our top guy from the security team right now. We want your laptop. Your 'case zero'

Needless to say I had to nicely explain to him how to leave a ******* voicemail!!!

So my every interaction, website, CUK post is being dissected as we speak. I've had to admit to downloading illegal torrents and bootlegged files, the odd 'Babysitters do Dallas' downloads and why the **** I have pictures of grown men in nappies with the words 'Suity that's you that is' and a picture of a big grizzly man cuddling a skinny fella in a swimming pool with the words 'Churchill / Brillopad - Bromance'

I'm so embarrassed.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

You used a client's laptop to do all of the above? Never heard of VM's or bootable OS's? Tails? BYOD?

Amateur
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Who looks at pron on their work laptop? What the utter **** do you think mobiles are for?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        ...Your laptop has been hacked....
        You been posting your password on internet forums again?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          Who looks at pron on their work laptop? What the utter **** do you think mobiles are for?
          we take the mick out of Suity?

blimey you would have thought such a big wheel would get himself a tablet / phone for such things?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            You used a client's laptop to do all of the above? Never heard of VM's or bootable OS's? Tails? BYOD?

Amateur
            Agreed. Had it two years. 200 night in a hotel. Complacency.

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
            I do use the mobile. Just may have accidently downloaded a couple of adult films via a torrent. Least I never expensed them!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              we take the mick out of Suity?

blimey you would have thought such a big wheel would get himself a tablet / phone for such things?
              I don't browse pron on my laptop. Just a dodgy film.

As it happens the reason they want my laptop is that the virus in question is new and bipassed the virus checker. McAfee also can't detect it and it was described to me that our Security team wants to be the first to publish a solution to it before McAfee.

For all I know it could be a derivative of Fitz2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                As it happens the reason they want my laptop is that the virus in question is new and bipassed the virus checker. McAfee also can't detect it and it was described to me that our Security team wants to be the first to publish a solution to it before McAfee.
                So how do they know you have a virus?

Edit: Ah, never mind, glossed over the "used as a bot" thing.

Comment

I'd fire your ass.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    I'd fire your ass.
                    Oh, are we recommending grumble flicks now?

Comment

Working...
                    X