• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reactivating SC Clearance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reactivating SC Clearance?

Hope someone can answer with some experience/knowledge...

I left an MOD-based contract on 18 Jan 2014, had an SC clearance there via a 3rd party supplier.

I moved to a different central gov contract with another 3rd party supplier and provided the new client with the contact details (as I was asked) for the vetting department at the old supplier in order to get the clearance transferred over to them.

I left the new client in October and discovered about a week before I left that they hadn't been a***d to transfer the SC clearance over (despite me potentially having access to secure systems and config information in an IL3 environment). So I had been operating under the impression it had been transferred and that it was active and up to date. (In the mean time, I had actually turned down roles that would have kept the clearance active [sigh].)

Fast forward to now, and I have a potential role awaiting budget approval which would require SC clearance, so I may not get to be onboarded before the 12-month lapse of my clearance comes into effect.

What is the likelihood of me having to go through the whole clearance process again, if, say, I was took up a role after the 12-month dormancy period, in late Jan/early Feb? Is there any way around it?

Assuming you will be ok even in the 12 month period is not correct as I believe SC goes with the role not the person so it still being active is not gauranteed.

If it's out of the 12 month period the chance of finding a way around it are slim to nil. I'd just be honest about it and see if they will put you through renewal which will be much quicker and simpler than starting again. It could be as long as the application to transfer has started you might dodge the 12 month cut off so try and get them to action it as soon as possible and see if that makes a difference.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jjdarg View Post
      Hope someone can answer with some experience/knowledge...

I left an MOD-based contract on 18 Jan 2014, had an SC clearance there via a 3rd party supplier.

I moved to a different central gov contract with another 3rd party supplier and provided the new client with the contact details (as I was asked) for the vetting department at the old supplier in order to get the clearance transferred over to them.

I left the new client in October and discovered about a week before I left that they hadn't been a***d to transfer the SC clearance over (despite me potentially having access to secure systems and config information in an IL3 environment). So I had been operating under the impression it had been transferred and that it was active and up to date. (In the mean time, I had actually turned down roles that would have kept the clearance active [sigh].)

Fast forward to now, and I have a potential role awaiting budget approval which would require SC clearance, so I may not get to be onboarded before the 12-month lapse of my clearance comes into effect.

What is the likelihood of me having to go through the whole clearance process again, if, say, I was took up a role after the 12-month dormancy period, in late Jan/early Feb? Is there any way around it?
      First Time I was SC cleared was over 10 years ago and took 3 months

used this for about 5 years then it lapsed. 2 years after I last used my clearance I needed to be put through SC again. completed the whole process (online now though) and was cleared within 2 weeks.

I am sure they just check the delta information

Comment

Originally posted by turbowoowoo View Post
        First Time I was SC cleared was over 10 years ago and took 3 months

used this for about 5 years then it lapsed. 2 years after I last used my clearance I needed to be put through SC again. completed the whole process (online now though) and was cleared within 2 weeks.

I am sure they just check the delta information
        No, they've made the process work properly...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

How long is it taking currently?

I was SC a few years ago and current client wants to put me through :-)
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

They had a very busy period which meant that new applications were taking longer than before, I don't know if they've overcome that backlog, but a clearance I know was submitted in October took until December, person had been cleared previously too.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Average seems to be around 4 weeks, or 2 weeks if everyone gets the paperwork passed on to the next step in the chain quickly. Delays are invariably between in trays these days
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
              X