• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I finally understand why people don't understand me

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally understand why people don't understand me

The y2k bug thread set me thinking. At the time I was touring Europe for Xerox hunting down not a Y2K bug, but rather a mystery bug where the billing routine didn't work in France or Germany or Italy but worked in the UK and other European countries. I tracked the problem down to the CVDate function in VB3, not functioning correctly when the decimal point character was a comma in regional settings. Indeed I was probably the first person to find this problem globally. I also then tested for Y2K related issues and found and fixed a whole heap of them and released this globally within Xerox. The Y2K team had missed this, so I greatly embarrassed them.

Years later I was working at the London metal exchange, I was only there for 7 weeks before I was bullied out by the developers. It all started when on my 2nd day the boss came in and all flustered as someone was able to place a trade before 8am which was illegal and potentially newsworthy. It was agreed it was a good task for the newbie to cut his teeth on, but I had to solve it fast. I was pointed to the VSS repo, and the 10k line stored procedure that was most likely the culprit. I set to work. 60 seconds later I had found and fixed.
    The developer that wrote the proc said something like "that was far too fast". Several other times I was confronted for making the team look bad.

I was once described by a business analyst as "bordering on the savant", and a fellow contractor last year said I was "definitely somewhere on the spectrum".

I have recently been watching series 1 of House MD when it hit me. I'm the onery Dr Gregory House of IT.

Don't feel bad for the way you act towards me, it's perfectly natural.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    The y2k bug thread set me thinking. At the time I was touring Europe for Xerox hunting down not a Y2K bug, but rather a mystery bug where the billing routine didn't work in France or Germany or Italy but worked in the UK and other European countries. I tracked the problem down to the CVDate function in VB3, not functioning correctly when the decimal point character was a comma in regional settings. Indeed I was probably the first person to find this problem globally. I also then tested for Y2K related issues and found and fixed a whole heap of them and released this globally within Xerox. The Y2K team had missed this, so I greatly embarrassed them.

Years later I was working at the London metal exchange, I was only there for 7 weeks before I was bullied out by the developers. It all started when on my 2nd day the boss came in and all flustered as someone was able to place a trade before 8am which was illegal and potentially newsworthy. It was agreed it was a good task for the newbie to cut his teeth on, but I had to solve it fast. I was pointed to the VSS repo, and the 10k line stored procedure that was most likely the culprit. I set to work. 60 seconds later I had found and fixed.
    The developer that wrote the proc said something like "that was far too fast". Several other times I was confronted for making the team look bad.

I was once described by a business analyst as "bordering on the savant", and a fellow contractor last year said I was "definitely somewhere on the spectrum".

I have recently been watching series 1 of House MD when it hit me. I'm the onery Dr Gregory House of IT.

Don't feel bad for the way you act towards me, it's perfectly natural.
    Knob

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
      Knob
      Whoosh!?
      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
        Knob
        Barbara, that you?

Comment

Do you really submit a 7 page CV?

Comment

"Bordering on the savant"?

Well, you're definitely an idiot.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              "Bordering on the savant"?

Well, you're definitely an idiot.
              Hush, puppy.
              Last edited by suityou01; 31 December 2014, 14:50. Reason: Punctuation

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                Do you really submit a 7 page CV?
                No. It's 8.

Comment

If the cap fits...

http://i.word.com/idictionary/savant

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post

I think what people have described to him are:-

What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X