• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another aspect to immigration

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another aspect to immigration

People, not least on CUK, are always complaining about or lauding the effects of immigration on the UK but what does it do for the countries involved? It may on fact be pretty negative.

Check this study on the effect of remittances on Romania.

Remittances promote consumption and undermine the local economy
    In a nutshell, although remittances have had some positive impact on Romania’s macroeconomic development, capital accumulation hasn’t been put to any productive use (like opening up businesses or longer term investment), but has rather been diverted to seemingly mindless consumption, including unnecessary housing updates and purchases of durable goods.
    Romania is not an exception in this, you will find plenty of properly researched evidence on foreign aid which similarly shows that money from abroad often has little or no positive effects on sustainable economic growth in the recipient nations.

Perhaps more importantly, If talented and hardworking people are always going to choose to go abroad rather than stay and increase the prosperity of their own nations by starting businesses or otherwise contributing to their own economies, how will those economies ever grow?

That is not to say that richer nations should not help poorer nations to develop but rather that we need investment in their economies that will encourage proper long term growth in the nations concerned, and which will benefit ourselves in the long term. No one country, unless it's the size of the US, can produce all of the goods and provide all of the services it needs, and it would make sense to cooperate with other countries, both within and outside the EU, and encourage each to do those things they are good at.

Simply allowing and encouraging mass migration may be the last thing that poorer nations need.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 3 January 2015, 14:13.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Simply allowing and encouraging mass migration may be the last thing that poorer nations need.
    The implication being that the Romanian nation state is more important than the Romanian individual's right to determine his own future?

Comment

Some Romanian immigrants for you -

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Romania is not an exception in this, you will find plenty of properly researched evidence on foreign aid which similarly shows that money from abroad often has little or no positive effects on sustainable economic growth in the recipient nations.

Totally. Aid gets people out of tight spots. Markets grow economies. Continued aid tends to kill markets.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Some Romanian immigrants for you -

A few more...
          Thousands of Romanian immigrants queue to vote in presidential election...in PORTSMOUTH - Mirror Online

Comment

They are in a queue to vote in THEIR own elections, what's the problem with that?

It's not like it's a queue in an unemployment office.

Those who make an effort to vote whilst being abroad certainly deserve respect.

Comment

The implication being that the Romanian nation state is more important than the Romanian individual's right to determine his own future?
              In the long term I would say yes. We should aim to improve life for the greatest number of people, not concentrate solely on the short term needs of individuals.
              bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Romanians, alongside with the other Eastern European countries, "took one for the team" - it was them who got occupied by USSR and had to ensure ~40 years of this tulip, it's time to repay them for their sacrifices.

Comment

Why can nobody ever grasp or argue a point on CUK?
                  bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Romanians, alongside with the other Eastern European countries, "took one for the team" - it was them who got occupied by USSR and had to ensure ~40 years of this tulip, it's time to repay them for their sacrifices.
                    The Romanians, alongside with the other Eastern European countries, "supported the Nazi's".

Not sure why we 'owe' Nazi allies anything?

Comment

Working...
                    X