• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Palace steps up Andrew denials

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you recall as a child the secret to a good lie would be to offer continuous denial? Maybe even embed alternative suggestions. Just saying like.

The heir to the throne is already an adulterer. And now this. Where does it end?

Prince Andrew sex claims 'emphatically denied' by palace

4 January 2015 Last updated at 11:34 GMT
    Prince AndrewThe claims against Prince Andrew are "without any foundation," Buckingham Palace said
    Buckingham Palace has "emphatically denied" Prince Andrew had sexual contact with a woman who claims she was forced to have sex with him under age.

The Duke of York was named in US court papers relating to the handling of a case against financier Jeffrey Epstein.

In the palace's second statement on the claims, it said those made about the duke were "without any foundation".

The Mail on Sunday has named the woman as Virginia Roberts. The BBC has not been able to verify her identity.

Palace officials made a second statement after further details about the allegations were published in Sunday newspapers.

An initial statement had said "any suggestion of impropriety with under-age minors" by the duke was "categorically untrue".

BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt said the latest denial was "quite remarkable".

'Categorically untrue'
    The situation "has the potential to seriously damage Prince Andrew and the institution he represents," our correspondent added.

The woman behind the allegations says she was forced to sleep with the prince when she was under age, and on three occasions - in London, New York and on a private Caribbean island owned by Epstein - between 1999 and 2002.

A US lawyer, meanwhile, says he is planning legal action against the woman.

Alan Dershowitz, who was also named in the court documents, told the BBC he wanted her claims to be made under oath.

Alan Dershowitz: "My goal is to bring charges against the client and require her to speak in court"

Mr Dershowitz, a former Harvard law professor, said: "My goal is to bring charges against the client and require her to speak in court. If she believes she has been hurt by me and Prince Andrew, she should be suing us for damages.

"I welcome that lawsuit. I welcome any opportunity that would put her under oath and require her to state under oath these false allegations."

'Innocent victim'
    Mr Dershowitz also said he thought Prince Andrew should take "whatever legal action is available" to clear his name.

He added: "You cannot allow these false allegations simply to remain out there, and you cannot allow people who make false allegations to have the freedom to continue to make them."

He previously told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that the allegations against Prince Andrew must be presumed to be false, and that he had only met the prince at public occasions.

The woman has issued a statement through her lawyers, saying she was "looking forward to vindicating my rights as an innocent victim and pursuing all available recourse", adding that she was "not going to be bullied back into silence".

Prince Andrew and Jeffrey EpsteinPrince Andrew has been criticised for his former friendship with Jeffrey Epstein (right)
    The court document alleges that Epstein sexually trafficked the woman making her available for sex to "politically connected and financially powerful people".

Prince Andrew and Mr Dershowitz are two of three well-known men named in the court document who it alleges had sexual relations with the woman.

The prince, who is fifth in line to the throne, has previously been criticised for his former friendship with Epstein, who was sentenced to 18 months in prison for soliciting a minor for prostitution.

The prince and Epstein were photographed meeting in December 2010, after the tycoon had served his prison sentence, and the prince has also visited Epstein at his Florida home over the years.

The prince later had to apologise for his friendship and stepped down as the UK special representative for trade and investment.

US citizen Virginia Roberts waived her anonymity in an interview with the Mail on Sunday in 2011, claiming she had been sexually exploited by Epstein as a teenager.

She also claimed to have met Prince Andrew on several occasions, but the paper said there was no suggestion of any sexual contact between Virginia Roberts and the prince.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

The mirror provides the salacious details, including alleged toe licking. But also suggests that a) he did not know she was underage, and b) did not know she was being pimped out or paid.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      The mirror provides the salacious details, including alleged toe licking. But also suggests that a) he did not know she was underage, and b) did not know she was being pimped out or paid.
      And (allegedly) winking at the time
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Wealth, privilege, a position that pretty much guarantees they'd never be prosecuted for anything. Does anyone seriously think the royals haven't been at this sort of thing for centuries?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Page 5. Discusting royal filth.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...dershowitz.pdf
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Wealth, privilege, a position that pretty much guarantees they'd never be prosecuted for anything. Does anyone seriously think the royals haven't been at this sort of thing for centuries?
            Rather my view too but I suppose we should give the ghastly privileged twat the benefit of the doubt until it's proved. What is also true is that famous people are sometimes the subject of inventions by resentful people or those seeking attention.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

People born in this country are all priviledged to be born here rather than in one of the African states. In large part this is thanks to the Royalty of this country which took long term decisions for the better of the people who live here.

Comment

Dunno about US but in the UK any man paying for sex with a woman forced to provide sexual services is guilty of an offense even if he is not aware that she has been forced into it.

Can prostitutes' clients become unwitting offenders? | Corinna Ferguson | Comment is free | theguardian.com
                bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

In large part this is thanks to the Royalty of this country which took long term decisions for the better of the people who live here.
                  Bleedin' eck aTW! With the possible exception of Elizabeth 1 and Charles 2, when did any royalty ever do that? Any sensible laws we have, have mostly come from elected leaders. Got any examples?
                  bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Dunno about US but in the UK any man paying for sex with a woman forced to provide sexual services is guilty of an offense even if he is not aware that she has been forced into it.

Can prostitutes' clients become unwitting offenders? | Corinna Ferguson | Comment is free | theguardian.com
                    In the mirror's version, she was a girl at a party who had been paid to "bed" him and report back the details. He didn't pay her, nor know she was paid. If that version is true, then I don't think he should be hung out to dry.

Comment

Working...
                    X