• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What To Say When Asked By Recruiter For References Before Interview?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What To Say When Asked By Recruiter For References Before Interview?

Hi All,

After reading around on here, I can see that a well known "scam" is that when called by a recruiter about a supposed position, they can/will ask for your references at this point, before your CV can be submitted. I understand that this information is then used by them to generate leads...

I'm wondering what the right response to this is... I'm sure that calling them out and saying "I know your game, and won't give them until after I have an interview" is one potential option, but in a business where relationships with recruiters is important, could this be a little heavy-handed?

On the other hand, I don't want to lumber my references with countless calls from agencies, as they certainly won't like that...

What should I be saying?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you know the name of the client? Its a two way game and while I won't provide references until after an interview if needs must I will provided I know the end client, know that is how that end client works and have a job description.

I think the simple test is are they asking for references in their first call with you. If they are then I would be utterly suspicious...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Do you know the name of the client? Its a two way game and while I won't provide references until after an interview if needs must I will provided I know the end client, know that is how that end client works and have a job description.

I think the simple test is are they asking for references in their first call with you. If they are then I would be utterly suspicious...
      What he said.

In reality if they attempt to insist on references up front, before a proper formal meeting with the client where it looks likely that a position not only exists, but you're likely to be offered it then it's just a fishing trip by the agent.
      By a fishing trip I mean that there's nothing real, no chance of a contract and it's just for the agents benefit to trawl contacts.
      Agents are like politicians, completely self interested and if you can hear their voice then they're lying.

Comment

So you know it's likely a scam, but you don't want to burn bridges with scam recruiters???????

I usually give them names like Mr C Lion and pass over the phone number of Bristol Zoo.

Don't waste your time with these barrow boy "agencies". There is no role, so move on.

Here's a fact. How many times has an agency one they have placed me followed up on references? Answer never, and I've been contracting for 15 years. Why? What would the agency gain by losing the placement of a contractor over references. No placement, no money.

Comment

Very interesting stuff Gents, thanks for the insight...

So, what's the sensible thing to say?

"I know your just trawling for leads, so kindly do one... Unless you can give me the name of the client, and a proper JD"?

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Techforcer View Post

"I know your just trawling for leads, so kindly do one... Unless you can give me the name of the client, and a proper JD"?

Many thanks.
            Nope, just state that you only give references direct to clients as you've been burned in the past by unscrupulous agents hassling your referees. 99% of the time after that conversation you don't hear a word from that agent until they try the same scam on you a few months down the line.

A JD and the client name is not an indicator, there's nothing stopping an agent fabricating those or just lifting them from other people's CV's.

Comment

Originally posted by Techforcer View Post

Many thanks.
              If you really are a sensitive soul, I pass the main switchboard number of each company that represents a "reference" and give the name of someone who I know has left the company.

Simples, you did your bit, a name and a phone number.

Comment

Providing a reference before the interview is no problem, that is simply your last agency. Absolutely no reason for references from end clients as your contract is with the agency not the client.

They should be able to confirm your last assignment.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Tek Systems, Aston Mae(?) and any other agent part of the Allegis Group are the worst for this. And I wouldnt give any agency references before an offer even if they did tell me the name of the client. Given the dirty tricks they use, they could pluck any name out of the air when speaking to you just to get your referee details.

I always used to say Im happy to provide detail at interview or when being provided with an offer after interview. You quickly got to find who were 'good' agents and who were not.
                  I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Tek Systems, Aston Mae(?) and any other agent part of the Allegis Group are the worst for this. And I wouldnt give any agency references before an offer even if they did tell me the name of the client. Given the dirty tricks they use, they could pluck any name out of the air when speaking to you just to get your referee details.

I always used to say Im happy to provide detail at interview or when being provided with an offer after interview. You quickly got to find who were 'good' agents and who were not.
                    That's a bit ironic as Tek Systems are the exception for which I have provided reference data (and arranged to meet their client manager prior to interview). Depending on their client they provide 1 vetted candidate for the role who should then get the job.

It meant that within 8 hours of leaving previous clientco I had confirmation of current clientco.
                    Last edited by eek; 5 January 2015, 11:03.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X