• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Octavia vRS Skip on wheels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Octavia vRS Skip on wheels

Current E46 diesel workhorse is now just over 12 years old (Sept 2002) and has 190,000 on the clock. Its never let me down and Im in two minds whether I should continue to run it until it needs major money spending on it.

But, I fancy a change. Ive looked a loads of other cars and the Merc CLA in AMG pose looks good. I can get one reasonably cheap on private lease but its an out and out coupe plus, they are bringing a shooting brake (estate) version out around March in the UK. Tempted to wait, hmmmm.

After looking at other cars, none really grip me tulips. Juke, a joke. Focus, MY2014 are available cheap but its out of date as soon as you buy. MY2015 with the aston grill are retailing at over 20g's with decent kit on them. Vauxhall's, wife has one.

Then the venerable skip on wheels in the Octavia vRS guise caught my eye. Decent kit, good bhp (220 for petrol, 184 for diesel) and a hatch. Im more and more addicted to auto gearbox although depending who you speak to, the VW DSG in 7 gear guise isnt as reliable as the 'wet' 6 gear version.

64 reg cars with less than 5000 miles are retailing between 20000 and 18750 so there should be room for getting another 1500 to 500 knocked off.

Anyone driving the Skoda Octavia vRS DSG? How you finding it, any issues etc?
    Last edited by BolshieBastard; 5 January 2015, 12:12. Reason: corrected 'their' to 'there' before anyone points it out!
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Current E46 diesel workhorse is now just over 12 years old (Sept 2002) and has 190,000 on the clock. Its never let me down and Im in two minds whether I should continue to run it until it needs major money spending on it.

But, I fancy a change. Ive looked a loads of other cars and the Merc CLA in AMG pose looks good. I can get one reasonably cheap on private lease but its an out and out coupe plus, they are bringing a shooting brake (estate) version out around March in the UK. Tempted to wait, hmmmm.

After looking at other cars, none really grip me tulips. Juke, a joke. Focus, MY2014 are available cheap but its out of date as soon as you buy. MY2015 with the aston grill are retailing at over 20g's with decent kit on them. Vauxhall's, wife has one.

Then the venerable skip on wheels in the Octavia vRS guise caught my eye. Decent kit, good bhp (220 for petrol, 184 for diesel) and a hatch. Im more and more addicted to auto gearbox although depending who you speak to, the VW DSG in 7 gear guise isnt as reliable as the 'wet' 6 gear version.

64 reg cars with less than 5000 miles are retailing between 20000 and 18750 so there should be room for getting another 1500 to 500 knocked off.

Anyone driving the Skoda Octavia vRS DSG? How you finding it, any issues etc?
    Not driving one but it is my 2nd choice for a reliable car. If its working; don't change it. A business friend got rid of his unreliable Merc and bought one, he is over the moon with it's reliability, hence why so many taxi drivers buy them. They are good for at least 300,000 miles.

BTW my brother in law spent £1200 on getting a plastic gear lever shift stop repaired on his Merc.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Vrs cr 170

I dont have a DSG diesel but a manual VRS diesel 5 years old with 76000 miles on the clock. It's never missed a beat, i test drove a DSG about 2 years ago as i was going to trade it in but i was underwhelmed with the DSG in a diesel. To push the diesel VRS hard you need to keep it in its torque range which is about 1750 - 3000 and change gear after that. There is no point hanging on to the Revs in the diesel and i think DSG is much more suited to the petrol. I've thought about changing the car a number of times but its so good as a cruiser and also for a bit of fun that i talk myself out of it. Also i need to tow my race car this year and it's ideal for that too. On a decent run cruising i get 50mpg out of it as well. Only thing i chnaged was the tyres from Continental to Vredesteins as the Continentals were great but a bit soft and wore out much more quickly than the Vredesteins. If you arent a badge snob they are a great car and the boot is massive.

Comment

I'm running an 11 year old Fabia (low mileage, it was my Dad's).

I've had it 3 years and I love it. I'd definitely buy another or the Octavia.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If you are not after a big boot you might want to also consider the other "poor" member of the VAG - Seat. They share engines, gearboxes and wheel bases with the rest - VW, Audi, Skoda, the only real difference is the interior and exterior which i myself find much more appealing in Seat than Skoda, while the prices are similar. Plenty of 64reg Seat Leons in your price range on AT.

I have driven 2 Ibizas and 1 Cordoba made between 2000 and 2007, the most serious issue i had was a failed blower for the interior heating/cooling that cost like £200 but was a PITA to replace due to it's poor placement requiring the removal of the entire dashboard in order to be replaced.
          Last edited by sal; 5 January 2015, 14:24.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            If you are not after a big boot you might want to also consider the other "poor" member of the VAG - Seat. They share engines, gearboxes and wheel bases with the rest - VW, Audi, Skoda, the only real difference is the interior and exterior which i myself find much more appealing in Seat than Skoda, while the prices are similar. Plenty of 64reg Seat Leons in your price range on AT.

I have driven 2 Ibizas and 1 Cordoba made between 2000 and 2007, the most serious issue i had was a failed blower for the interior heating/cooling that cost like £200 but was a PITA to replace due to it's poor placement requiring the removal of the entire dashboard in order to be replaced.
            Ha! Ive just had to replace the heater final stage resistor on the E46. Its a right PITA to get to and needed the driver's side under dashboard to be removed. Even had to buy some torx drivers to remove the screws. Skinned my little pinkies to heck!

Just to clarify my original post, its 14 reg vRS' that can be had for low 19's. If I manage to get back into contracting, I might make a move sooner.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Ha! Ive just had to replace the heater final stage resistor on the E46. Its a right PITA to get to and needed the driver's side under dashboard to be removed. Even had to buy some torx drivers to remove the screws. Skinned my little pinkies to heck!

Just to clarify my original post, its 14 reg vRS' that can be had for low 19's. If I manage to get back into contracting, I might make a move sooner.
              If you have an old car it is sometimes worth taking shortcuts such as making a hole in the side of the glove box to get access to the gubbins. Car manufacture seem to have a laugh by building a complete car around the cabin heater.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I don't have the DSG box, but I do have a 2010 2.0 TFSI Octavia VRS. It is a superb car with plenty of go about it, comfy for journeys and hasn't missed a beat. It is roomy inside and the boot is huge.

I bought it 3 years old for £12K with 12K miles on it and I'd do that again. With an insurance friendly stage 1 tune it puts out 240bhp which is about as much as you would want on a front wheel drive car. With the turbo petrol engine it isn't lacking torque either and isn't revvy as some petrols are.

If you want a comfortable quick car than it is great. If you want a sharp handling car you are probably best looking elsewhere. It depends on what you really want. I'd be tempted to try the dsg box though I never really got on with the Honda version (i-shift).

Comment

Got an 04 model mk1 VRS which I've had since new.
                  Still going strong on 120k miles.
                  I've heard of some small complaints about the newest VRS model, but only from fanatics. Should be solid and the engine will have been used throughout the range so it will be well road tested.
                  I'd buy skoda again when mine gives up.
                  Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

But, I fancy a change.
                    911 Turbo S shirly.

Comment

Working...
                    X