• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One of those days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of those days

On return to the office today after the loss of my laptop, I emailed the Amsterdam office Saturday to clarify that my replacement laptop would be in the London office when I arrived on Monday and all my system access restored.

At 8am, I received an email to say that London does not arrive until 9am.At 10 am I set off to London.

When I arrived there was an email saying a MacBook would be configured for 3pm. I already have a MacBook which I had bought with me which I use for testing purposes & backing up the wifes photos.

I was then told it would take a few weeks for a laptop. Hey ho, I kicked up a fuss.

I then attempted to configure an old laptop but found that my old Windows CDS were all scratched, so no luck there.

I plugged existing said MacBook into the network, which proceeded to have old security on it, synced to the network, got confused, deleted all local accounts and being encrypted locked me and the IT Support department out. I had now lost all of our families backed up photos/videos. It took 2 hours before they worked out how to decrypt it (albeit to another MacBook) which will have to be done painfully tomorrow.

I then went to PC World to buy an emergency laptop, after 45 minutes of waiting I walked out, only to discover I had somehow for the first time in my life lost my parking ticket and that it would cost be £20 to get out of the carpark.

I decided to go home.

On returning, I discovered that a cockup on a bill on the house I had had built had not been paid after all and after exhaustive discussions with the bank, the legal letter for £3000 that wanted paying immediately was actually accurate & I did owe the money after all.

I still can't get into to anything at work and I am now down one laptop and a bloody MacBook with the missus spitting feathers.

The ******* day is not over yet and I am now hiding under the desk.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    On return to the office today after the loss of my laptop, I emailed the Amsterdam office Saturday to clarify that my replacement laptop would be in the London office when I arrived on Monday and all my system access restored.

At 8am, I received an email to say that London does not arrive until 9am.At 10 am I set off to London.

When I arrived there was an email saying a MacBook would be configured for 3pm. I already have a MacBook which I had bought with me which I use for testing purposes & backing up the wifes photos.

I was then told it would take a few weeks for a laptop. Hey ho, I kicked up a fuss.

I then attempted to configure an old laptop but found that my old Windows CDS were all scratched, so no luck there.

I plugged existing said MacBook into the network, which proceeded to have old security on it, synced to the network, got confused, deleted all local accounts and being encrypted locked me and the IT Support department out. I had now lost all of our families backed up photos/videos. It took 2 hours before they worked out how to decrypt it (albeit to another MacBook) which will have to be done painfully tomorrow.

I then went to PC World to buy an emergency laptop, after 45 minutes of waiting I walked out, only to discover I had somehow for the first time in my life lost my parking ticket and that it would cost be £20 to get out of the carpark.

I decided to go home.

On returning, I discovered that a cockup on a bill on the house I had had built had not been paid after all and after exhaustive discussions with the bank, the legal letter for £3000 that wanted paying immediately was actually accurate & I did owe the money after all.

I still can't get into to anything at work and I am now down one laptop and a bloody MacBook with the missus spitting feathers.

The ******* day is not over yet and I am now hiding under the desk.

and you got paid for today?
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

backing up the wifes photos.
      There's quite a few of them on YouPron, should the retrieval process not be successful.

Comment

Still living the dream...

Comment

Why are you messing around with your own laptops on the corporate network? Do they allow BYOD? And is that wise with your browsing habits?

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            Why are you messing around with your own laptops on the corporate network? Do they allow BYOD? And is that wise with your browsing habits?
            After what he did with the corporate laptop, they're probably hoping he takes a bit more care with one his wife also uses

Comment

Well, guess you have to burn some fat reserves for dinner

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                I always thought you were a PC man.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  Well, guess you have to burn some fat reserves for dinner
                  He'll be fine. For several months it seems.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I thought he'd been fired and had to give his laptop up anyway.

Or have I missed an episode?
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X