• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Theresa May warns that foreign student numbers will hit 600,000 in 2020s

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theresa May warns that foreign student numbers will hit 600,000 in 2020s

" The Home Secretary has warned that 600,000 foreign students will come to the UK by the 2020s.

Theresa May disclosed the figure as she defended plans to expel non-EU graduates at the end of their courses.

The warning was sounded after business figures, including Sir James Dyson, questioned government plans to force graduates to leave Britain at the end of their courses in order to apply for new visas.

The Home Secretary insisted that changes to the immigration system would still ensure the "brightest and the best" are welcomed into the United Kingdom. However, she said the new rules were necessary because surveys had shown that every year tens of thousands of students were staying on after their courses had finished.

Mrs May’s move – designed to appeal to right-wing voters – has been attacked by Labour, who said that foreign students bring “billions of investment” to Britain. "

Source: Theresa May warns that foreign student numbers will hit 600,000 in 2020s - Telegraph

AtW's comment - so what if they are paying hefty tuition fees upfront + rent + food + drinks?

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Feck me, this is a looooooooong 24 hours.

Oh it was only 24 hours of posting
    Ah only one day to get on your nerves
    Oh the jukebox started to play
    And nightime turned into day as we were posting merrily
    All of a sudden I lost control as I pounded keys
    And I dissed her, missed him
    Told my PC I'd die before I let it out of my arms
    Oh it was only 24 hours of posting
    Ah only one day away to get on your nerves
    I hate to do this to you
    But I love squirrels too
    What can I do
    And I can never never never go home again

apologies to Gene & Burt.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Mrs May’s move – designed to appeal to right-wing voters – has been attacked by Labour, who said that foreign students bring “billions of investment” to Britain.
      This is the sort of all or nothing argument we constantly get on immigration issues. What we should be doing with students, as with other migrants, is ensuring we take in only the beneficial ones. Student visas are a major factor in illegal immigration and we need tighter procedures.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        This is the sort of all or nothing argument we constantly get on immigration issues. What we should be doing with students, as with other migrants, is ensuring we take in only the beneficial ones. Student visas are a major factor in illegal immigration and we need tighter procedures.
        you realise they have no intention of stopping or slowing immigration? Its keeping wages down.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

send em all home....

or something

Comment

If they pay such humongous international student fees, I see no reason why they shouldn't stay after their studies for work experience.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              What is a 'beneficial' student? Surely all students are the same, their aim is to study, get a qualification and then a job or are we talking about those who just go to higher education to not work and just get pissed which I think would rule out a lot of homegrown students...
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

There are about 2m violent attacks in the UK every year where people get hit. To suggest that 600,000 will be by foreign students is anti immigrant xenophobia pandering to the looney right.

Mind you, she is home secretary, so if anyone knows, she does. Well done Theresa
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  you realise they have no intention of stopping or slowing immigration? Its keeping wages down.
                  Why is that good for the government? It reduces GDP and their ability to talk about increases in real-term salaries, not to mention real issues like the cost on government infrastructure.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    send em all home....

or something
                    Not all of them

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X