• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting for a charity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting for a charity

Would you lower your regular rate when contracting for charity?

A year or so ago I was approached directly by a well known charity, I turned out to be an excellent match. I mentioned my rate and they didn't want to or couldn't offer more than 60-70% of my rate, saying we are a charity, you should consider that, to which my reply was, yes but I'm not a charity. Needless to say I didn't get the contract. (now one year later on, I still see the same role popping up)

If it was a cause I believed in and a charity I thought did a good job, then probably I would offer a discount. If it was a mega-charity paying huge salaries then no - they clearly pay market rates to get the best people!
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

A year or so ago I was approached directly by a well known charity, I turned out to be an excellent match. I mentioned my rate and they didn't want to or couldn't offer more than 60-70% of my rate, saying we are a charity, you should consider that, to which my reply was, yes but I'm not a charity. Needless to say I didn't get the contract. (now one year later on, I still see the same role popping up)
      No. I may contribute but I wouldn't reduce the rate.

Comment

I would find out what the top brass at the charity take home before I make a decision on the rate.

Comment

Probably not. They're using the "we're a charity" angle as a negotiating tool, which is fair enough, but that doesn't mean charities are immune from market forces and shouldn't have to pay decent rates to get decent people like everyone else.

I know someone who works in IT for Oxfam, and he does admit that he works longer hours for less money than he would elsewhere.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            I would find out what the top brass at the charity take home before I make a decision on the rate.
            Ditto - Have a look at what Save the Children pay their Execs and you wouldn't donate a bean to them, or take a rate cut

(e) 2013 Executive Director remuneration
            Emoluments for all permanent Executive Directors employed at Save the Children UK for the year ending
            31 December 2013 are detailed below.
            Position Name Full Time Annual Salary Actual Gross Salary & Emoluments*
            CEO Justin Forsyth £139,950
            COO Anabel Hoult £139,950
            COO / CFO & Strategic Initiatives Rachel Parr £131,970
            Global Programmes Director Fergus Drake £113,300
            Fundraising Director Tanya Steele £112,200
            Marketing & Comms Director Sue Allchurch £111,920
            Policy & Advocacy Director Brendan Cox £106,029
            CFO Peter Banks £102,000
            HR Director Paul Cutler £100,980
            Last edited by Scruff; 6 January 2015, 14:23. Reason: Beancounting
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

I think it would be cute.
              Your wife and children would be very understanding when you don't take them on holiday but give them a 'Save the xxxx' badge instead
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Possibly.

I have an ideal rate in my mind. I then add on what I think it would cost in terms of expenses, and add on for any perceived hassle factor. I then deduct based on the client, the role, the technology involved, and how desperate I am.

The result may be a lowering of the rate or an increase. I wouldn't cut my rate just because they are a charity - I give to charity as and when I want to, and they are always of my choice. A forced donation isn't something I'd be too keen on.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  Ditto - Have a look at what Save the Children pay their Execs and you wouldn't donate a bean to them, or take a rate cut
                  If you look at what the execs of most clients get paid, you'd never consider a rate cut. And yet many people do.

How much do the board of a bank get paid, and how often do banks cut rates? The amount that the permies get paid is irrelevant to your rate, or it certainly should be.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    I think it would be cute.
                    Your wife and children would be very understanding when you don't take them on holiday but give them a 'Save the xxxx' badge instead
                    Given that loads of people DO deliberately take low-paid jobs that seems rather cynical. The odds are, if you are the kind of person who would think this is the right thing to do, so is your spouse

Personally I'd be thinking more of a smaller, local charity since I think they are more effective.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X