• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Facts? Hello! Facts???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facts? Hello! Facts???

One has to wonder why some arguments continue when, in some cases, all that is needed is a little low cost research. Take the current debate about why A&E departments are so overwhelmed.

Some say it due to aging population, but it is hardly likely the aged have grown quite so much in one year. I recently had to accompany someone to A&E and it was heaving. Most were young families.

Some say it is all due to immigrants. Possible in some areas I suppose but hardly likely UK wide

Some say it is due to the last Labour government's reduction of GP working hours. Most likely explanation in my experience. A doctor's appointment, unless you say it is urgent, can be days or weeks away. I can see how someone in pain, even though they know it is just a twisted shoulder, might try to get help sooner.

Some say the NHS helpline is encouraging people to go to A&E. No idea on that one.

Could be a combination of all of the above, could be something else. The point is, why would it be so difficult just to ask, "What made you come to A&E today?" and send it to a government department for analysis.

Maybe what governments need to do rather more is collect more data and get proper statistics on any issue before they act. Chuck out the sentiment, act on facts.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

And another one: would it be to do with a number of A&E closures across the country causing the remaining ones to be overloaded?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Foolish fellow. You are talking about evidence-led policy.

Politicians live in a world where they contrive policy-led evidence
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

You do get people going for no reason but the problem is everywhere you go someone is telling you to feel for bumps and check for blood in your poo as it could be cancer and early treatment could stop you dying.

And because people cannot get to see a gp they go to a&e cos it's better than dying.

Comment

Last time I was in A&E in Leeds the vast majority of people in there where South Asian, no idea why, maybe they are more inclined to make the trip, whereas for example I fell down the stairs last week but one and cracked a few ribs but no way would I consider A&E or even Docs, one billing day less and what would they say? Leg was a bit bruised, went green and fell off but I'm sure it will grow back.

That last time I went (cellulitis outburst - needed the antibios) Leeds General was full of knob heads from all over the world who'd fell off their bikes, for twas Tour De France week......

Going back a few years when I had to use A&E in my hometown of Bolton, it was 24/7 pissed up blokes......

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Last time I was in A&E in Leeds the vast majority of people in there where South Asian, no idea why, maybe they are more inclined to make the trip,
            Possibly due to the fact that a good number of walk-in centres and minor injuries units in Leeds were shut down recently.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
              Possibly due to the fact that a good number of walk-in centres and minor injuries units in Leeds were shut down recently.
              That's because there are more of us Geordies moving down here and we simply don't need all that southern mamby, pamby nonsense.
              I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                That's because there are more of us Geordies moving down here and we simply don't need all that southern mamby, pamby nonsense.
                I think they have expanded the stomach pump units to allow for more of your lot top be catered for
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  I think they have expanded the stomach pump units to allow for more of your lot top be catered for
                  We don't need stomach pumps, we can vomit at will and get back on the sauce whilst wearing nothing more than vest tops in -20 C weather, and that's just the ladies (I admit 'ladies' is stretching it a bit for Geordie females).
                  I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                    We don't need stomach pumps, we can vomit at will and get back on the sauce whilst wearing nothing more than vest tops in -20 C weather, and that's just the ladies (I admit 'ladies' is stretching it a bit for Geordie females).
                    Fair comment. The units may come in handy to deal with traumatised southern softies who become exposed to your fashion.
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X