PDA

View Full Version : Facts? Hello! Facts???

xoggoth
7th January 2015, 19:20
One has to wonder why some arguments continue when, in some cases, all that is needed is a little low cost research. Take the current debate about why A&E departments are so overwhelmed.

Some say it due to aging population, but it is hardly likely the aged have grown quite so much in one year. I recently had to accompany someone to A&E and it was heaving. Most were young families.

Some say it is all due to immigrants. Possible in some areas I suppose but hardly likely UK wide

Some say it is due to the last Labour government's reduction of GP working hours. Most likely explanation in my experience. A doctor's appointment, unless you say it is urgent, can be days or weeks away. I can see how someone in pain, even though they know it is just a twisted shoulder, might try to get help sooner.

Some say the NHS helpline is encouraging people to go to A&E. No idea on that one.

Could be a combination of all of the above, could be something else. The point is, why would it be so difficult just to ask, "What made you come to A&E today?" and send it to a government department for analysis.

Maybe what governments need to do rather more is collect more data and get proper statistics on any issue before they act. Chuck out the sentiment, act on facts.

darmstadt
7th January 2015, 19:28
And another one: would it be to do with a number of A&E closures across the country causing the remaining ones to be overloaded?

EternalOptimist
7th January 2015, 19:31
Foolish fellow. You are talking about evidence-led policy.

Politicians live in a world where they contrive policy-led evidence

original PM
7th January 2015, 21:28
You do get people going for no reason but the problem is everywhere you go someone is telling you to feel for bumps and check for blood in your poo as it could be cancer and early treatment could stop you dying.

And because people cannot get to see a gp they go to a&e cos it's better than dying.

stek
7th January 2015, 22:29
Last time I was in A&E in Leeds the vast majority of people in there where South Asian, no idea why, maybe they are more inclined to make the trip, whereas for example I fell down the stairs last week but one and cracked a few ribs but no way would I consider A&E or even Docs, one billing day less and what would they say? Leg was a bit bruised, went green and fell off but I'm sure it will grow back.

That last time I went (cellulitis outburst - needed the antibios) Leeds General was full of knob heads from all over the world who'd fell off their bikes, for twas Tour De France week......

Going back a few years when I had to use A&E in my hometown of Bolton, it was 24/7 pissed up blokes......

FatLazyContractor
7th January 2015, 22:49
Last time I was in A&E in Leeds the vast majority of people in there where South Asian, no idea why, maybe they are more inclined to make the trip,

Possibly due to the fact that a good number of walk-in centres and minor injuries units in Leeds were shut down recently.

GlenW
8th January 2015, 08:49
Possibly due to the fact that a good number of walk-in centres and minor injuries units in Leeds were shut down recently.
That's because there are more of us Geordies moving down here and we simply don't need all that southern mamby, pamby nonsense. :smokin

DodgyAgent
8th January 2015, 09:52
That's because there are more of us Geordies moving down here and we simply don't need all that southern mamby, pamby nonsense. :smokin

I think they have expanded the stomach pump units to allow for more of your lot top be catered for :laugh

GlenW
8th January 2015, 09:54
I think they have expanded the stomach pump units to allow for more of your lot top be catered for :laugh
We don't need stomach pumps, we can vomit at will and get back on the sauce whilst wearing nothing more than vest tops in -20 C weather, and that's just the ladies (I admit 'ladies' is stretching it a bit for Geordie females).

DodgyAgent
8th January 2015, 09:58
We don't need stomach pumps, we can vomit at will and get back on the sauce whilst wearing nothing more than vest tops in -20 C weather, and that's just the ladies (I admit 'ladies' is stretching it a bit for Geordie females).

Fair comment. The units may come in handy to deal with traumatised southern softies who become exposed to your fashion.

FatLazyContractor
8th January 2015, 10:25

HTH. Geordies in bloom.

http://i3.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article1381256.ece/alternates/s2197/the-cast-of-geordie-shore-433673468.jpg

VectraMan
8th January 2015, 10:28
You do get people going for no reason but the problem is everywhere you go someone is telling you to feel for bumps and check for blood in your poo as it could be cancer and early treatment could stop you dying.

And because people cannot get to see a gp they go to a&e cos it's better than dying.

BBC Breakfast had that GP-woman they have on from time to time this morning, and she seemed quite angry about the fact people are blaming a lot of this on GPs and was putting the case for how hard they work, which is probably true. But then every time she and others are on they're always saying "discuss it with your GP before you do X". No wonder the GPs are overloaded when people are encouraged to see GPs for what's essentially a bit of a chat and some advice.

Zero Liability
8th January 2015, 12:51

Yup, and that includes NHS sources. The real issue is the lack of GP availability as they're the gatekeepers of the whole system but the websites, posters etc probably contribute to demand for it.

darmstadt
8th January 2015, 15:25
This helps to explain some of it: Surviving a night in A&E: a doctor (http://www.theguardian.com/society/guardianwitness-blog/2015/jan/08/surviving-night-nhs-hospital-a-and-e-doctors-story)

xoggoth
8th January 2015, 16:07
This helps to explain some of it

Interesting, some things I mentioned like long waits to see a GP, but some obvious others there, most especially a shortage of suitable staff.

Maybe more things, like checking on elderly or infirm, could be done by volunteers but obviously proper controls are needed.

vetran
8th January 2015, 17:23
interesting comments too

The sheer disorganisation I have seen is scary.

The bed blocking by healthy people waiting to be discharged or elderly / infirm requiring community care is scandalous.

So many people who seem to have just arrived here are after expensive treatment.