• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sunday Times seeks case-study: why are you self-employed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday Times seeks case-study: why are you self-employed?

Sorted. Thanks, all.
    Last edited by Laurance; 8 January 2015, 14:59. Reason: sorted, thanks

I started contracting because I always wanted to learn how to bleed the radiators.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurance View Post
      The Sunday Times is seeking to speak to - and probably picture - an IT contractor who used to be in a staff job and who is now self-employed. This could be someone whose job was done away with - and that was the trigger for the person's becomng self-employed. This would be for a more general piece on the changing nature of employment in the UK to run in this weekend's paper. It would be necessary to speak to the person concerned today, Thursday. If able to help, please contact Ben Laurance on [email protected]
      Best to contact IPSE as they have a large membership of self-employed. Most contractors on here are business owners or working through umbrella companies and are not self-employed.

https://www.ipse.co.uk/about-us/press-office

Comment

The Sunday Times is seeking to speak to - and probably picture - an IT contractor who used to be in a staff job and who is now self-employed. This could be someone whose job was done away with - and that was the trigger for the person's becomng self-employed. This would be for a more general piece on the changing nature of employment in the UK to run in this weekend's paper. It would be necessary to speak to the person concerned today, Thursday. If able to help, please contact Ben Laurance on [email protected]
        You'd be better off posting on a site that has lots of self-employed members, not here.
        I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Wasn't cojak in the Times a few years back?
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            Classified ads?
            I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

So was I, in another life - 1972 I think

But I am not self-employed.
              Last edited by tractor; 8 January 2015, 12:06.

Comment

These days, you are more likely to find someone who is self-employed working for a newspaper, rather than here, Ben.

As others have said, you won't find anyone who is self-employed on the forum - I've not met anyone who is self-employed doing a similar role as I do, because agencies and clients will not deal with the self-employed for various (primarily tax) reasons.

I you want to speak to people who own a limited company and work for that company, then there are loads around here - whether that's the "typcial" serial single client contractor or someone who has built a different business themselves.

Good luck with your search.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I was in The Grauniad once - they were writing about people challenging airlines for not complying with the EU rules on flight delays and cancellations, and I had just filed a small claims court action against BA.

I was also on national TV news in America, but I'm still trying to get Google to take down the search results
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                    Best to contact IPSE as they have a large membership of self-employed. Most contractors on here are business owners or working through umbrella companies and are not self-employed.

https://www.ipse.co.uk/about-us/press-office
                    Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                    You'd be better off posting on a site that has lots of self-employed members, not here.
                    I rather think we fit the description of what he means, and furthermore I think you know it. The OP might clarify of course whether it was an issue of terminology or not just to be sure.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X