• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Deluded' sellers stall the property market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Deluded' sellers stall the property market

"House price rises are slowing after hitting an affordability ceiling for many parts of the UK, according to new figures from Halifax - but sellers are still "delusional" about the valuations they can demand.

The average price of a British home rose 0.9pc from November to December to £188,858 continuing a six-month trend of falling annual growth rate.

Values in the last three months of 2014 were 0.3pc higher than in the previous three months, making December the fifth consecutive month in which the quarterly rate of increase declined.

Martin Ellis, housing economist at Halifax said the figures showed a market where house prices have outstripped wage inflation and hit an affordability ceiling for many parts of the UK.

“The deterioration in housing affordability as a result of rising house prices, earnings growth that has been consistently below consumer price inflation until very recently and speculation of an interest rate rise, have combined to temper housing demand since the summer," he said. "

Source:
    'Deluded' sellers and sky high house prices have stalled the property market - Telegraph

The end is nigh!

That's certainly what we were finding.

Most are 50 - 100k over the odds.

We haven't bothered looking anymore.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm probably one of those sellers but wouldn't say I'm deluded, you chance your arm and see what you can get.

I've not sold yet (currently changing EA) so when house goes back on market it will be a bit lower as I want to move.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I started looking at what's available on Rightmove in early December as I'm considering a move and renting out my current place.
        What I've seen seems a bit overpriced compared to what I'm willing to pay, so at the moment I'm voluntarily priced out rather than economically.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          I'm probably one of those sellers but wouldn't say I'm deluded, you chance your arm and see what you can get.

I've not sold yet (currently changing EA) so when house goes back on market it will be a bit lower as I want to move.

qh
          How long was your house on the market?
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Surely Estate Agents set the prices with their valuations. Maybe it's they who are deluded and not the sellers, or am I missing something? (I haven't read the article, the link didn't open for me).

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              How long was your house on the market?
              Just over a year.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Seems like I timed my sale and purchase perfectly.

Sold a London studio flat for £500K and bought my large turnip in Devon, completing last July.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Grasser73 View Post
                  Surely Estate Agents set the prices with their valuations. Maybe it's they who are deluded and not the sellers, or am I missing something? (I haven't read the article, the link didn't open for me).
                  Estate agents will secure a client by over-valuing a house "I can get you £50k more than the other agent, I have high value cash buyers on book" blah blah.

Then the house doesn't sell, so over a period of months or years the price is reduced until it does sell. Once the client is on-board with an unrealistically high price, that's when they become delusion, convinced their house is worth more than it is, because some unqualified spiv told them so.

Comment

When I sold a house 2 years ago, I did it the other way around, advertised cheap and had about 6 viewings in 3 weeks. 2 people got into a bidding war, and ended up selling at the price I wanted.

The sale then dragged on for 4 months because of solicitors, but that's another story..

Comment

Working...
                    X