• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lightbulb moment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightbulb moment

60 Per Cent of Heathrow T5's Light Bulbs Have Blown Since 2008 and Haven't Been Changed | Gizmodo UK

I always look at these buildings and wonder why they put the lightbulbs in a place that needs a cherry picker or worse to change.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    60 Per Cent of Heathrow T5's Light Bulbs Have Blown Since 2008 and Haven't Been Changed | Gizmodo UK

I always look at these buildings and wonder why they put the lightbulbs in a place that needs a cherry picker or worse to change.
    Because private maintenance contract Ltd owned by conservative MP 'Nigel Caruthers', needs a racket on the side to pay for his duck house.

Call me sceptic but I recall a project I worked on with SSE and to change a light-bulb on a lamppost would be upwards of £250! Such is the cost of the maintenance equipment.

Latterly I recall a project with the Navy on a surface vessel due for refit and the same bulbs installed from 25 years ago were still installed. What?! Where does this miracle bulb come from I wondered? It turned out the lighting system was deliberately kept 20-30 volts below specification.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 9 January 2015, 10:35.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Typical architect stuff, consideration for how you actually maintain the pretty facilities they design (I'm sure the T5 designer thinks it's pretty) is waaaaaaaay down the list.

Fairly silly that they need a high wire act type climber for this

Comment

This type of thing is always amusing.

A friend of my is an abseiling robotics technician.

A large international replaced one of its manned warehouses with a 5 storey high fully automated solution, that has robotic arms running on rails.

There is no room internally to setup climbing equipment of a sufficient size to reach anything past the 3rd level, so if a robotic arm breaks down on level 4 or 5 my friend has to climb up onto the roof and abseil down to it.

Comment

Working...
        X