• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Writing a CV for a student

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Writing a CV for a student

My son is currently at University. He's looking for part-time work just for a bit of general work experience and beer money.

I'm looking at his CV and of course there's not a great deal of detail to put on there at the minute regarding work experience. He's had a part time job in a garden centre, at a garage and recently in Argos over Christmas.

I think the format of my own CV is pretty good, but it feels like I have to apply different rules to his. For example, he has a huge section on hobbies and interests which I was about to delete completely, but I think perhaps for someone at his stage of life, it might be good to have a couple of lines to show what kind of person he his, what he's into, what motivates him, etc.

Any advice on what 'rules' I should break or how different this should be to someone who's got a work history to report?

Talk about the final year project. Prospective employers are interested to learn about the research, approach and solution. Above all conveying enthusiasm for the research; he'll have a job in no time.

Life experience is important, foreign travel, exposure to other cultures (and I don't mean a week in Luton), show interest here.

I'd avoid talking about experience of work placements such as the garden centre.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Talk about the final year project. Prospective employers are interested to learn about the research, approach and solution. Above all conveying enthusiasm for the research; he'll have a job in no time.
      I used to be in a position where I was interviewing graduates and I'd always want to see evidence of doing something useful - i.e. a project, rather than any nonsense about personal goals and being well rounded.

Though that's fora graduate. I had a few part time and summer jobs in my time at university, but I don't think I ever had a c.v. Surely nobody who's interested in hiring someone that young really cares, and a c.v. can only highlight his lack of experience.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'd avoid talking about experience of work placements such as the garden centre.
        IMO I wouldn't write it off so quickly. So many student CV's will have nothing but gumpf filling them up so any solid experience of getting off your arse and doing some work is gold IMO. Doesn't matter where it is. I think his list is pretty impressive with three different placements. My lad is a proper lazy bastard more interested in joining local am dram groups for a lark about. I'd take someone showing he got off his arse and did tulipty jobs over someone that couldn't be bothered any day.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

T
          Ha a recruiter who approached me recently had on his LinkedIn cashier at Asda as the job he had before becoming a pimp

Comment

For sure, I'd mention date, title and occupation but nothing else. 'I move bags of composite etc' is really not necessary.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              Ha a recruiter who approached me recently had on his LinkedIn cashier at Asda as the job he had before becoming a pimp
              Fantastic.

Eavesdropping on a very impressive lengthly German argument. Tempers are flaring but never moving to the next level.

Comment

To kick him off why not try get him in to a proper role (albeit casual) at a business for free and you pay him. He could try saying he will work 'x' number of months on trial for free (you pay him) and if he adds to the business they start paying him. With a bit of luck he could get something pretty long term and some proper experience in something he is interested in perusing after uni?

Will take a lot of work knocking on doors but only needs one opportunity which could be a winner?

Comment

For sure, I'd mention date, title and occupation but nothing else. 'I move bags of composite etc' is really not necessary.
                  Unless part of his duties is handling cash, dealing with customers, stock control. Moving bags of composite [sic] can be worded to look impressive as well.

Comment

He has some stuff on there which is a bit banale and that definitely needs to come off, but I do think there's value in having something to show that he's had some customer facing experience, for example, albeit in Argos.

I want to get him to write two versions, too. One for similar jobs he's had - part time around his studies that might be in a bar, shop or factory etc. Just for money and experience.

But also, one that can help him get some 'proper experience' in coding which is what he's studying. Originally he was concentrating on gaming, but has broadened that to give him a bigger target market, hopefully.

The biggest issue I have with this is that he lives 300 miles away from me, so it's not possible to sit down together and go through it.

Thanks for all your comments so far.

Comment

Working...
                    X