• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I think I may be cut out to be a contractor...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I may be cut out to be a contractor...

...counting down to the end of the day, so that I can drive 2 hours home from site to meet my Mrs who'll then take me to A&E, as recommended by NHS Direct and the first aider this morning.

I'm only 5 days into a new contract - no way could I lose a days billing AND risk losing the contract!

For the truly bored, I'd previously knackered my toenail on an endurance run last year. At one point it seemed to be sorting itself out, but to be honest, progress had stalled and I probably should have got it checked. This morning I managed to kick the absolute tulip out of it on the bed at the hotel and things went badly. Lots of blood, lots of pain and it appears that it's either exposed or caused bits of nail to be where nail shouldn't be. Definitely looks like it's gonna need some kind of surgical intervention to sort and 10 hours on it's still hurting a LOT.

The first aider offered to drive me to A&E, but I said we should ring NHS Direct first who confirmed that I should go. Bandaged myself up for work and now I get to look forward to spending Friday night with the damaged drunks. Yay.

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    ...counting down to the end of the day, so that I can drive 2 hours home from site to meet my Mrs who'll then take me to A&E, as recommended by NHS Direct and the first aider this morning.

I'm only 5 days into a new contract - no way could I lose a days billing AND risk losing the contract!

For the truly bored, I'd previously knackered my toenail on an endurance run last year. At one point it seemed to be sorting itself out, but to be honest, progress had stalled and I probably should have got it checked. This morning I managed to kick the absolute tulip out of it on the bed at the hotel and things went badly. Lots of blood, lots of pain and it appears that it's either exposed or caused bits of nail to be where nail shouldn't be. Definitely looks like it's gonna need some kind of surgical intervention to sort and 10 hours on it's still hurting a LOT.

The first aider offered to drive me to A&E, but I said we should ring NHS Direct first who confirmed that I should go. Bandaged myself up for work and now I get to look forward to spending Friday night with the damaged drunks. Yay.
    Carry a flask of hot water and some waterproof rugs. A 15 hour wait outside the A&E in this weather wouldn't be pleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
      Carry a flask of hot water and some waterproof rugs. A 15 hour wait outside the A&E in this weather wouldn't be pleasant.
      I wanted to go to a walk in (Oh, the irony) centre tomorrow, but they said I'd probably wait just as long and they probably wouldn't be able to fix anything

Comment

I wanted to go to a walk in (Oh, the irony) centre tomorrow, but they said I'd probably wait just as long and they probably wouldn't be able to fix anything
        The situation is a bit tulip given the fact that you cannot pay anywhere to get it sorted, or can you ?..

Comment

I can't help feeling if you can do a days work and drive for 2 hours, it probably isn't an emergency.

But don't worry. It's not like they're especially busy or anything.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            The situation is a bit tulip given the fact that you cannot pay anywhere to get it sorted, or can you ?..
            I certainly don't have any private insurance, but even if I did I have no idea if they sort stuff like this I hate anything medical, because it really doesn't fit with the working away lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              I can't help feeling if you can do a days work and drive for 2 hours, it probably isn't an emergency.

But don't worry. It's not like they're especially busy or anything.
              When did I say it was an emergency?

Comment

I certainly don't have any private insurance, but even if I did I have no idea if they sort stuff like this I hate anything medical, because it really doesn't fit with the working away lifestyle.
                No, I guess only A&E can deal with such things and private insurance is useless in this case.

Comment

When did I say it was an emergency?
                  Implied by the fact you are going to Accident and EMERGENCY?

probably

Comment

NHSDirect has gone hasn't it?

Comment

Working...
                    X