• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there much point applying for contracts requiring clearance if you don't have it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there much point applying for contracts requiring clearance if you don't have it?

Seen a contract with a good rate and excellent match for my skills, which I'd be quite interested in pursuing.

But it's in (cough) Gloucestershire, starting january, so within a week or two as we're already nearly half way through the month, and the ad says "you must either hold or be eligible for UK security clearance", which I don't currently have.

Given that I gather it takes several weeks to gain security clearance, with no guarantee of success, can one assume those are simply a conventional form of words that really mean "don't bother applying if you haven't already been security cleared".
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Simple answer 'No'.

Comment

A big fat ZERO (whatever the legislation might say to the contrary)!

Comment

I would apply anyway OH, I just wouldn't expect a reply.

You may be proved wrong!
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          I would apply anyway OH, I just wouldn't expect a reply.

You may be proved wrong!
          There was a job which would have fitted me perfectly which kept getting posted. Eventually I gave them a shout to see if they'd relax the requirement and the recruiter sounded exasperated and said "I know - we've told them they need to, but they're insistent so I'm sorry but we can't put you forward with out current clearance". It's all very daft.

Comment

Owlhoot - depends who it is with.

I'm currently working for in Gloucester, with people who should have had SC clearance but do not, so give me a PM if you need more info.
            Beer
            is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

You don't need clearance to apply, you don't need clearance beyond BPSS to start work, and SC can be obtained in 2-3 weeks anyway. Sadly a certain large site in Gloucestershire demands DV clearance for any role no matter how far removed it is from Top Secret material and is determined to ignore the Cabinet Office. In fact most clearances are set at a "standard" level regardless of the actual risk to a role: how hard is it to keep a coder away from classified data, after all?

The rules are clearly stated and are circulated to all HMG hiring organisations; next step is enforcement. This is being worked on, but it's taking a fair old time.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I've just signed an SC job in London, and i don't have clearance nor am I resident in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yes and no

BPSS for me to get onsite, then SC ongoing (so far 9 months for UK citizen). The rules seems to change every other week, sometimes you need full SC before getting onsite, other times BPSS will do.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
                    BPSS for me to get onsite, then SC ongoing (so far 9 months for UK citizen). The rules seems to change every other week, sometimes you need full SC before getting onsite, other times BPSS will do.
                    That depends on the role and how well you can be supervised while doing your job: easy enough for designers and coders, rather difficult for sysadmins and network wonks, for example. It's manageable but it can get weird - I had one gig that touched on buildings that don't exist housing services that don't exist operated by people I couldn't talk to. That made for some interesting meetings...

SC is averaging 4 weeks. If it's taking significantly longer, either you've something outstanding to fix (an outstanding large credit card bill for example), although they won't tell you what, or someone has lost the paperwork. It may sound bizarre, but it's probably worth resubmitting your vetting request. If your Cerberus account still works that will tell you where it's up to in the system.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X