• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiry letter for Winchester IQ Contract under section 9a

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC enquiry letter for Winchester IQ Contract under section 9a

Hi,
    I am one of you who received the HMRc enquiry letter (section 9a) for my return.
    HMRC says that I was with IQ contracts which was using some sort of loan scheme.
    Thay are asking all sort of information including my bank statements.
    I have spoken to CHSlimited which was set up by IQ to help ppl like us. They are advising no to reply to HMRC as its just the voluntary request from HMRC not the formal request. They will not provide any legal assistant.

My accountant advising me to provide the info.
    I am not sure how to deal with this.
    Can some one help.

Many Thanks.
    Last edited by m786; 19 January 2015, 14:26.

Originally posted by m786 View Post
    Hi,
    I am one of you who received the HMRc enquiry letter (section 9a) for my 2011-13 tax return enquiry.
    I was with Winchester IQ contracts between oct-2012 march 2013.
    HMRC says that I was with IQ contracts which was using some sort of loan scheme.
    I have spoken to CHSlimited which was set up by IQ to help ppl like us. They are advising no to reply to HMRC as its just the voluntary request from HMRC not the formal request. They will not provide any legal assistant.

Can some one help.

Many Thanks.
    I think you should approach CH and present them with your accountant's view and see what they say.

Comment

I have also received one of these (different scheme though) but mine had a deadline date to present the information to them by. My promoter (luckily and thankfully) has dealt with this on my behalf. If yours also has a deadline date, I personally wouldn't recommend ignoring it !!!
      STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
        I think you should approach CH and present them with your accountant's view and see what they say.
        Hi, Thanks for your reply.
        I have told CH what my accountant says but he still thinks that I dont need to reply HMRC until the formal request.
        I am bit worried at not replying to HMRC because CH is not going to support me legally if HMRC takes me to the court.

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
          I have also received one of these (different scheme though) but mine had a deadline date to present the information to them by. My promoter (luckily and thankfully) has dealt with this on my behalf. If yours also has a deadline date, I personally wouldn't recommend ignoring it !!!
          Yes, I have a deadline too. what did your promoter do?
          Did he reply to HMRC on your behalf or waited for Formal request.
          Last edited by m786; 14 January 2015, 17:49.

Comment

They requested additional time from HMRC direct and are now dealing with it on my behalf, along with others in the same boat.
            STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by m786 View Post
              Hi,
              I am one of you who received the HMRc enquiry letter (section 9a) for my return.

Can some one help.

Many Thanks.
              Bump! Did you get any reminder letter from HMRC. I have!

Comment

Originally posted by sk13 View Post
                Bump! Did you get any reminder letter from HMRC. I have!
                It is NEVER - under any circumstances - sensible to ignore a request from HMRC especially if accompanies by a deadline. At the very least this could lead to increased penalty for non cooperation.

If you have a formal 9A enquiry notice, HMRC is ENTITLED to ask for information. There are limits to what they can ask for. IN short it's anything that helps them establish you tax liability.

That would normally EXCLUDE information such as bank accounts, credit card statements etc.

If you are in any doubt about replying I would say do so, supplying the information to hand that is directly about the scheme (sign up papers, receipts or other documents accompanying payments, etc) and ask HMRC to explain why they want anything else.
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Just got Cold-Called by Winchester. Don't fancy it.

HMRC have demonstrated their ability to introspectively declare schemes exploiting loopholes in legislation as illegal and pursue you for money owed. It sounds very risky.

Comment

Originally posted by Tardisrepairman View Post
                    HMRC have demonstrated their ability to introspectively declare schemes exploiting loopholes in legislation as illegal and pursue you for money owed. It sounds very risky.
                    I just got cold-called by "h t t p://w w w.winchestercontracts.co.uk/" - short shrift given
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X