• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Techy Vs Management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Techy Vs Management

Isn't it true that if you cant get on in the technical world and have an aptitude for it, you end up in management or project management. I've never known a PM to have an ounce of knowledge about what he's supposed to be managing (but thats ok as he has 'People Skills', WTF is that ? ) .

I've known a lot of PM's who haven't got any tech skills whatsoever, in anything..... well except MS Project, Excel and Word but that doesn't count in my book. I've even known a successful PM who had no tech skills AND no people skills - he just relied on his obsessive attention to detail and liking for structure and paperwork to get him through. I have also known managers who have no tech skills, no people skills AND no organisational ability, but seem to hang on to their jobs by sheer deviousness.

Personally I've gone from tech to leadership/management, back to tech, business analysis, back to tech, then management, then business analysis, then project management, then management then back to tech ! The problem is that it's always tricky to convince other people that you still have the tech aptitude and ability to update yourself quickly when getting back into it. The idea of generic tech aptitude doesn't seem to be that well recognised, whereas people and organisational skills are more long lasting and transferable.
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
      Isn't it true that if you cant get on in the technical world and have an aptitude for it, you end up in management or project management. I've never known a PM to have an ounce of knowledge about what he's supposed to be managing (but thats ok as he has 'People Skills', WTF is that ? ) .
      This is probably true in the permie world...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
        This is probably true in the permie world...

Mmmm... recently seen lots of contractors sacked because of complete lack of people skills.
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
          Mmmm... recently seen lots of contractors sacked because of complete lack of people skills.
          If you're tulip - you're tulip, doesn't matter whether you're a contractor or not. The point I was making is that, as a contractor, if you're brought in to fulfil a technical contract and your technical skills are cack then you go, you don't end up moving to a management role...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

There are also PM contract roles about though.

Comment

One of the reasons I quit IBM was because in order to get access to the stuff you were interested, in you had to climb their ladder, and to climb the ladder you had to take on managerial duties at each level. And they wonder why most real techies bail from them, then come back as contractors to support their own product line. Daft.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                If you're tulip - you're tulip, doesn't matter whether you're a contractor or not. The point I was making is that, as a contractor, if you're brought in to fulfil a technical contract and your technical skills are cack then you go, you don't end up moving to a management role...

Yeah. But that's the point ie. where do you go next if you can't get a tech role because you're 'cack' at it ? It's a reasonable assumption that a lot go into softer roles, probably permie ones if they can swing it.

I agree that people skills are becoming more important with techs becoming less protected from the business than they used to - probably because of lower staff numbers and less middle management. Also you need some people skills to get the contract in the first place.
                It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
                  There are also PM contract roles about though.
                  Quite a lot of them indeed.

Job Serve - keywords:
                  project and manager 2400 contracts
                  developer 3000 contracts

On average 1.25 project manager per developer. :-)

Guess you know the old joke:

"A Japanese company and an American company decided to have a canoe race on
                  the Missouri River. Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak
                  performance before the race.
                  On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile. The Americans, very discouraged
                  and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat.

A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and
                  recommend appropriate action. Their conclusion was the Japanese had eight
                  people rowing and one person steering, while the American team had eight
                  people steering and one person rowing.

So American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large
                  amount of money for a second opinion. They advised that too many people were
                  steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

To prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management
                  structure was totally reorganized to four steering supervisors, three area
                  steering superintendents and one assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the one
                  person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the
                  "Rowing Team Quality First Program", with meetings, dinners and free pens
                  for the rower.

There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment,
                  extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles. Humiliated, the American
                  management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a
                  new canoe, sold the paddles and cancelled all capital investments for new
                  equipment.

The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses, and the
                  next year's racing team was outsourced to India. "
                  I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
                    Isn't it true...
                    You are right, it isnt true.

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X