• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paper Bags

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper Bags

Some of youse youngsters may not believe this, but there was a time when we didn't have plastic bags.
    Yes, indeed. There are people who post here who grew up in the era of the paper bag.

In those days, if you bought some sweeties, meat, fish an chips, it was wrapped up in paper, or came in a paper bag.

Paper bags were great if you were a kid because they rustle. If someone in the class had some jelly babies, they could not sneak one out without the whole class knowing. The sound of a rustling paper bag was the same as the mating sound of the female moose to a moose bull. irresistible.

Then of course, when the jelly babies were gone, you could get the paper bag, close the opening around your thumb, to make a neck, blow into it then burst it with the flat of the hand in a mighty explosion that used to make the cats and dogs run for cover, and gave you a thick ear, if your mum was around.
    Alternatively, you could fill the paper bag with water, light a candle in the shed and impress the younger kids by showing them that the paper would not catch fire if you held it over the flame. Which earned another thick ear when your mum found out where all the candles went and there is a power cut coming next Tuesday.
    Paper bags made good alternative hankies for a snotty nose on a winters day, bog paper for a big day out to the cut on a Saturday or tinder if a fire was needed in a hurry.

Plastic bags are just not the same. Would you wipe yer bum on a Tesco bag ?

then:-

now:-

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Side effects of reaching a ripe old age of 80 Stay Optimistic!

Comment

Up here we called a paper bag a poke. Poke of chips etc...

The best use was making a paper bag into a cone the bottom filled with sugar to dip raw rhubarb and chew on.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        Up here we called a paper bag a poke. Poke of chips etc...

The best use was making a paper bag into a cone the bottom filled with sugar to dip raw rhubarb and chew on.
        Fantastic.

but where I lived, some of the bags were cones to begin with.

If you got 2oz, it came in a cone, but if you got a quarter, it came in a square bag.
        No one in our family, no one in our street, no one I ever knew, ever got a quarter

When I was about 30, I got a quarter of blackcurrant liquorice. In a square bag.
        I could feel the decadence and self indulgence for days. It was so wrong, being sooo rich
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            Side effects of reaching a ripe old age of 80 Stay Optimistic!
            shut your pie-hole fatty
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              go back to where you came from, you majestic pea-brain
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                Fantastic.

but where I lived, some of the bags were cones to begin with.

If you got 2oz, it came in a cone, but if you got a quarter, it came in a square bag.
                No one in our family, no one in our street, no one I ever knew, ever got a quarter

When I was about 30, I got a quarter of blackcurrant liquorice. In a square bag.
                I could feel the decadence and self indulgence for days. It was so wrong, being sooo rich
                2oz? INKSPE. We always had a quarter. Off of a stall in Morley Market.

Mind you, that were to share between 3 of us. And we had to sleep in the bag for the rest of the week...

Comment

Reminds me of a simple exchange of text messages between me and SY02 last Sunday, after I had flown the nest and was on my lonely cold train journey down to Gatwick to fly out.

SY01: Forgot me fecking woolly angry birds hat.
                  SY02: Doh. Better buy a new one at the airport.

SY01: Better yet, I shall fashion one out of an old newspaper. Should the weather become more clement, I shall still have a handy paper boat to amuse myself with in the long dark evenings.

Try explaining that to the kids today.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

We used to make paper bag puppets with opening mouths.

They never looked a pro as this one though.

Comment

Working...
                    X