• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permies constantly joking about contractors being rich

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permies constantly joking about contractors being rich

Really starting to get tedious now,

Whenever a financial issue is discussed it's like: "Well you're a contractor", "I guess it's not much if you are on £1 million/day", "that's peanuts to you" etc etc.

Even if I don't get involved in the conversation at times.... It's not like I don't get on well with people and I believe I am a fairly friendly chap. I guess that's the result of being on a very high rate at a place full of permies.

To add insult to injury I am on the way to London now paid for by the client (nearly £300 return) and they think I am taking the pi$$! It was not me who requested that. Work is going well where I am at and recently turned down a higher paying contract at Barclays for that reason, but one thing is a lot better there is the way you blend in due to the number of contractors etc.

Anybody else suffer from this? How to deal with it?

I just agree with anything they say, smile sweetly and keep on invoicing.
    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Is it whinging/bitching or just workplace banter? You could retort with "well why don't you go contracting?" or joke about "do you want me to buy you a coffee since you're so poor?" every day and see what happens.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Or reply with "at least you're paid for holidays and you know where you'll be in six months"
        • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
        • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Take it easy and carry on invoicing, is all I can say.

In a meeting with the programme manager one of the permies at current clientco (who hates me for some reason) asked me the reason why I work from home on Fridays despite being paid "extortionate" amount. I told him that I need a day to count all the money I earned in the week. I expected to be fired, but the PM could see the humour.

Comment

Tell them to address any complaints to your valet - he deals with the little people.

And leave a couple of car brochures on your desk. Ferrari, Aston Martin etc

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
              Tell them to address any complaints to your valet - he deals with the little people.

And leave a couple of car brochures on your desk. Ferrari, Aston Martin etc
              If you smoke, rather than using a match or lighter, set fire to a £20 note and use that to light your cigar.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You earn 5 times as much as everybody else for doing the same job and you're upset that people aren't nice to you?

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  You earn 5 times as much as everybody else for doing the same job and you're upset that people aren't nice to you?

5 times as much???

Either I'm doing something very wrong as a contractor, or you're doing something very wrong as a permie. Or possibly both.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    Really starting to get tedious now,

Whenever a financial issue is discussed it's like: "Well you're a contractor", "I guess it's not much if you are on £1 million/day", "that's peanuts to you" etc etc.

Even if I don't get involved in the conversation at times.... It's not like I don't get on well with people and I believe I am a fairly friendly chap. I guess that's the result of being on a very high rate at a place full of permies.

To add insult to injury I am on the way to London now paid for by the client (nearly £300 return) and they think I am taking the pi$$! It was not me who requested that. Work is going well where I am at and recently turned down a higher paying contract at Barclays for that reason, but one thing is a lot better there is the way you blend in due to the number of contractors etc.

Anybody else suffer from this? How to deal with it?
                    Not really, I'm perm. I earn a shedload more than being a contractor now, but I still do like telling them how overpaid they are & how much more they earn than me. Always make 'em get the round in.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X