• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting an IT Consultancy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting an IT Consultancy

Hi there

I am an IT contractor but am interested in exploring the idea of starting my own IT consultancy business. I know naff all about this (not a great start eh?) but am keen to find out more about how to go about it and wondered if anyone had any advice/info?

I'm not interested in taking on permanent staff, etc, I just want to place other contractors in to specific roles within my area of expertise, a bit like a pimp I guess!

I have plenty of contacts re the people that I would place in to roles and have some good relationships with business where I could place them, but don't know what other things I need to consider? Anyone else do/done this type of thing before?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Let me know if you need a couple of references and my day rate?

Comment

Originally posted by nikos101 View Post
      Hi there

I am an IT contractor but am interested in exploring the idea of starting my own IT consultancy business. I know naff all about this (not a great start eh?) but am keen to find out more about how to go about it and wondered if anyone had any advice/info?

I'm not interested in taking on permanent staff, etc, I just want to place other contractors in to specific roles within my area of expertise, a bit like a pimp I guess!

I have plenty of contacts re the people that I would place in to roles and have some good relationships with business where I could place them, but don't know what other things I need to consider? Anyone else do/done this type of thing before?

Go get a role with a consultancy, learn their business for 10 years, find out how much slush fund you need for bribing clients and governments, save up enough then go for it!

Comment

a bit like a pimp
        Sounds exactly like a pimp

What would you be doing that's different to every other recruitment agent out there?

Comment

Hi there

Try and convince the Head of the HR departments at the places you have plenty of contacts and, convince them you are able to fill their needs better \ cheaper than anyone else on their PSL?
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
            Sounds exactly like a pimp

What would you be doing that's different to every other recruitment agent out there?
            Understanding the market and the skills that people will need to do the job.

However, it's not a consultancy that the OP is suggesting - it's a niche agency.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
              Go get a role with a consultancy, learn their business for 10 years, find out how much slush fund you need for bribing clients and governments, save up enough then go for it!
              ^This, finding clients is the hard bit

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                Yep, and you will need a large cash flow. Take exams etc etc etc
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                X